Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: 35' 1977 Viking Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Funny you used the "Viking Funeral" thing as I did the same thing yesterday when I said I was trying to save him from one.

Just out of curiosity (and maybe to help Pat), what do you think it would cost to dispose of a boat like this if it came to that?
    Depends, does your buddy have access to any construction equipment, or is there a local fire department that wants some practice?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I'm assuming he could come up with some destruct... uh, construction equipment. Can you break up a boat and take it to a landfill? I would think not.

Looks like the EPA would have problems with burning it, even for fire department practice.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Why would you think not? They put all kinds of things in landfills. Fiberglass is probably one of the most environmentally friendly materials you can put in a landfill.

Fire departments burn all kinds of things for practice. Ask them.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I guess it depends on how much destruction you do. I can see just the hull being sawed up, but you've got lots of other crap to contend with like drivetrain, appliances, etc. All that will be left if you burn it too, so would a fire department carry off the remains for free?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Hmmm For what ever reason I stopped getting Email notices on reply's to this thread.

After reading a lot of the responses I'm almost to the point of buying the boat with the soul purpose of showing Randy what Can be done with this old girl
    with my skill set and resources. Money isn't the point of the Topic. Getting this Vessel that is very likely to be chosen up and running and using the skill
    set and knoledge of this forums member base is my current goal. I Know this Boat. I like this boat...And My Wife Wants this boat...AKa Sugar Mama.
    So let move past The Why not and onto the to does! That should be even more fun! Right?

Before you spend any money find out if the stringers are wet and rotted. If so (and most are) the boat is worth nothing. I know you've fallen in love with this one but be careful you're not making a huge mistake. This is not a Viking that many would want.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Before you spend any money find out if the stringers are wet and rotted. If so (and most are) the boat is worth nothing. I know you've fallen in love with this one but be careful you're not making a huge mistake. This is not a Viking that many would want.
    Agreed There will be a an out of water survey done. An Randy gave me a good idea on that earlier.
    Other the that.....What you got?

If you are going to spend (waste) lots of time fixing an old boat up, and spend lots of money just getting it safe to use....then why not at least spend both on something nicer than a crapped out viking?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by 2swift View Post
    Agreed There will be a an out of water survey done. An Randy gave me a good idea on that earlier.
    Other the that.....What you got?
    See after the Survey you could say that if she comes back wet.. Yet we not there..

Sorry just realized quotes are different here.