Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling awlgrip

Rolling awlgrip

Since I was asked about using the rollers on imoron I thought I'd start another theard rather then hijack the one that started it. I started with roll and tip, a major hassle on the small spaces on my flybridge. Cruised the internet and found this http://www.kirby25.com/index.php?opt...cles&Itemid=22, sorry don't know how to make it clickable. Thought B.S. but figured what the hell I'll try it. Bought the sugested rollers off ebay. Mixed the paint and just rolled it on. Bought the small rollers for edges, the solvent does get them after a while bigger ones lasted a whole coat. Was quite worried while I painted, but it flowed out like glass. Gotta admit took a lot of the work out of the painting. Now the prep well thats another story. I didn't do any real vertical surfaces other then the lip on the bridge but this winter when I get the boat to the keys it's on my list. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Re: Rolling awlgrip

Bill, those little 'hot dog' shapped rollers from Home Depot will do the same thing. The guy that painted my hard top and flybridge used them and probably thins the paint a little extra too, but it flowed out nicely.

Bob

Bob I started with them they're a bit corser and still required me to tip it out. Worked but trying to manage a brush, pan and roller on the outside of the bridge was quite a pain. Seemed to me I had a few more sags on the lip when I used the brush. Went to these rollers and no B.S. almost like painting a house. Of course this was my first venture into awlgrip. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Bill, those little 'hot dog' shapped rollers from Home Depot will do the same thing. The guy that painted my hard top and flybridge used them and probably thins the paint a little extra too, but it flowed out nicely.

Bob

These are the ticket. High density foam. And cheap. They make easy work of rolling Awlgrip. They make bigger sizes, you can get them from paint places like Sherman Williams.
    Currently boat shopping

21' Skiff

Bill,

I painted the complete topside and deck on our 53' MY with awlgrip and a small foam roller. I had to watch the roller, they will start to fall apart while painting areas that take more then 20 to 30 min. Just kept few extra rollers handing during the painting. I spoke the guys at awlgrip. They suggested to use around 35 to 45 % on the reducer, when temps are above 80 degrees. . May require an extra coat on the top coat, but the paint sure did flow out nice. I found mixing the reducer above 35%, it would control the solvent popping on those warm days. Plan on painting the haul this spring.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

can you wet sand and buff out the awlgrip like you do imron?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

the answers is just like imron you can not sand and buff without damaging the finish
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    the answers is just like imron you can not sand and buff without damaging the finish

??? I've sprayed a ton of imron and always was able to buff it out. I painted the entire boat myself and a helper in 1980. I dont care how good a painter you are your going to get a few runs some where. If you cant buff them out you have to paint up to a edge somewhere.PITA
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Imron and awlgrip will always be better if there is no buffing or waxing after the spraying. As good as we may think we are there are painters who will shoot a whole boat with no runs. I would hire one if I repaint my boat as they will always get a better finish than I do.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Imron and awlgrip will always be better if there is no buffing or waxing after the spraying. As good as we may think we are there are painters who will shoot a whole boat with no runs. I would hire one if I repaint my boat as they will always get a better finish than I do.

I can show you a freind of mines lancair plane that was shot with imron and was heavily orange peeled. It was wetsanded and buffed out with several steps of microglaze. It is the most perfect paint job you will ever see. It would make the most perfect boat paint job look sick.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976