Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

35' 1977 Viking Convertible

I have a friend looking at one of these in Florida and was just wondering if there is anything specific he should be concerned with beyond the obvious. Sounds like it falls into the fixer upper category, and I've seen some pics. Is there anything specific he should look into with this particular boat?

I know nothing about Vikings but have recommended he get a survey regardless. Thought maybe some of you guys may be able to offer some input that I can pass along.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: 35' 1977 Viking Convertible

Check the stringers and aft bulkhead.

And check for blisters. We had a customers viking that needed a peel. Pretty bad and not as thick as a hatt.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Is it like this one? If so that's a nice little boat.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bod/5522716322.html

Tony

Be a friend and tell him to look for a better boat. That's not the same as the 35 Tony posted. Those older 35 Vikings have little to no market and a project boat would have negative value. As Dave said stringers and act bulk head are known issues. Check the transom as well as all Stanton bases. Very wet stiff ride with mediocre performance.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Be a friend and tell him to look for a better boat. That's not the same as the 35 Tony posted. Those older 35 Vikings have little to no market and a project boat would have negative value. As Dave said stringers and act bulk head are known issues. Check the transom as well as all Stanton bases. Very wet stiff ride with mediocre performance.
    This one is priced really cheap, but I did notice it looked to have some transom problems as in fiberglass broken/cracked on a shot which I assume to be the rudder posts. This one has been repowered with 90's vintage 6.2 MerCruiser's and is priced at $8K. It needs work, but for that kind of money, he may be okay unless it's about to break in half.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    This one is priced really cheap, but I did notice it looked to have some transom problems as in fiberglass broken/cracked on a shot which I assume to be the rudder posts. This one has been repowered with 90's vintage 6.2 MerCruiser's and is priced at $8K. It needs work, but for that kind of money, he may be okay unless it's about to break in half.
    Probably only worth about 15K if it was in very good shape. If it needs a lot of work walk away. If the stringers are rotted run away.
    Jack Sardina

From Viking's decidedly mediocre period of yacht manufacturing. With older Hatteras yachts bringing so little money, he would be better off finding a Hatteras, which is worth fixing up and might even hold some percentage of its value.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post

I thought the ride was not a good one but wasn't sure I was sure that Jack would know

I have seen pictures of it and its scary he needs to walk away.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

First I'd like to Thank Bird for starting this thread helping us in this endeavor and to all taking the time to chime in.\
    to pass down their info and experience with big boats.

Question ....I thought from some of the research we have done that the 77 35' was a tank of a boat from the better years of Viking
    . Does anyone know of any Sites where they actually discuss the vintage Viking in general?
    I have tried but there is very limited info out there regarding them. Ty all for taking the time to help a big boat virgin.Pat