Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

8v92 intercooler ?

Out last wk end and noticed my port engine had way more steam than stbd? Not so much so at cruise, but when I came down to idle it was very apparent .

Re: 8v92 intercooler ?

Temps ok? Are you losing coolant? Steam may mean you're cooling system has some restrictions.

Port Temp 170, stbd 170. I recently flushed coolent and changed the thermostats in both motors, this shouldn't have any impact on the raw water Side should it?
    I'm also thinking there's some restriction in the intercooler? How's the best way to ck and repair if needed.
    1990 52' SF
    Seahorse
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebar View Post
    Port Temp 170, stbd 170. I recently flushed coolent and changed the thermostats in both motors, this shouldn't have any impact on the raw water Side should it?
    I'm also thinking there's some restriction in the intercooler? How's the best way to ck and repair if needed.
    1990 52' SF
    Seahorse
    Thanks
    FYI I have the same engines. Both engines have been rebuilt. New intercoolers and the fresh water side of both engines have been apart and cleaned...They both seam about 2 to 4 feet out the stern at cruse at idele none.

Thanks Tim, after a few mins at idle the port motor stops steaming, as the stbd has on steam idle, both engines run great and temps are about the same.

Thanks Tim, after a few mins at idle the port motor stops steaming, as the stbd has on steam idle, both engines run great and temps are about the same.
    I find the cooler the sea water the more the steam. FYI

Cool Re: 8v92 intercooler ?

Out last wk end and noticed my port engine had way more steam than stbd? Not so much so at cruise, but when I came down to idle it was very apparent .
    It appears you aren't getting equal raw water flow through both engine exhausts, particularly the port engine. Check your raw water system starting with strainer, raw water pump impeller, heat exchanger (intercooler has nothing to do with exhaust riser cooling) and finally your exhaust riser, (the induction section).

Report your findings, good luck!

Scott and Malina

To S&M, it was a combo of all three you mentioned, strainer, intercooler, impeller. Thanks

I should probable ask this over on the DD questions thread, I have a 52 SF with 892's they run pretty strong and I love there sound . I'm getting 38 gph at 1750 rpm, running about 18 knots.

However, I'm hopefuuly thinking way down the Rd, when it comes time to rebuild or replace a motor and your running in my case 892 DD, what would be the the best motor to go back with and why?

To S&M, it was a combo of all three you mentioned, strainer, intercooler, impeller. Thanks

I should probable ask this over on the DD questions thread, I have a 52 SF with 892's they run pretty strong and I love there sound . I'm getting 38 gph at 1750 rpm, running about 18 knots.

However, I'm hopefuuly thinking way down the Rd, when it comes time to rebuild or replace a motor and your running in my case 892 DD, what would be the the best motor to go back with and why?
    Rebar,
    I'm glad it worked out for you, and you're welcome. One never knows exactly the culprit until checking the entire system. Sometimes it can be a combination of all components as in your case. So good on you for not stopping and celebrating victory with just a clean strainer. As long as time permits and circumstances allow, it's always prudent the ensure complete system checks out.

Regarding your question for your SF engine change/swap....boy is that a loaded question. Keep in mind that there will be nothing but opinionated responses to those questions and at the end of the day it will leave you scratching your head, being no further educated than you started. So, the real undisputed response is...there is no "right" answer and no "best" engine. There will be lots of pros and cons to every suggestion. However, I will lend you this thought, no engine manufacturer that I'm aware of wakes up on a given morning and decides to make a crappy engine and then sells it to the consumer and makes millions of unhappy customers. Detroit Diesel, Cummins, Volvo, Caterpillar and so on all make reputable engines or they wouldn't be making engines competitively in today's market. Longevity is a crap shoot and it all boils down to maintenance and the periodicity of such maintenance "based on how you run the engine". So, the best engine is really your personal choice. No matter which engine maker you decide to go with, if you disregard the maintenance, it will leave you. Now, what would I do? If I like the engines I have, I would rebuild them.

See? I said that you would be left scratching your head...lol!

Happy boating and let us know what you decide when that day comes.

Scott and Malina

I sometimes read reviews of new boats and I find it interesting to compare the operational characteristics of these old DD motors with the that of modern motors in boats that are the equivalent size/weight of our 1980 53MY/DD8v71TIs. What I have found in every case is that the fuel usage at whatever speed is essentially the same for my 36 year old boat as it is for a new boat of the same general design/weight/speed. Admittedly, the new ones, since they tend to have much higher max HP engines, will generally top out at a considerably higher speed (and greater fuel use). But within the operating envelope of my boat - top speed around 18 knots, the fuel burn of a new boat/"modern" engines is no better that the fuel burn on our 53MY.

SO...my reaction re engines is, UNLESS you want/need more speed that your DDs can provide, when the time comes, just rebuild them.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"