Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Davit crane took a crap today

My davit crane motor and cable took a crap today while trying to lift my 12 foot Novurania with a 50 hp Yamaha outboard out of the water. The cable split inside the crane which caused the motor to burn up. Luckily nobody was below the RIB when the line spooled out 10 feet above the water. It did make a nice splash. My question is if I should try to replace the motor (if I can find one), replace the cable or just buy a new crane. The last one I'm sure is almost as old as the boat. I cant find a manufacturer's name anywhere. Are these things somewhat easy to repair? My do it all mechanic thinks he can get a motor for from Grainger. I on the other hand believe I may be getting out a large check again. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Ron

Re: Davit crane took a crap today

Motors are rebuildable usually. Take it to an electric motor shop. Got a picture?
    I had a Golo winch in my Marquipt and I sent it back to Golo for a refurb, came back great.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I told you should have soldo it to me while you were here. LOL. Kidding aside those new are very very pricey. 10/12k minimum. Get it rebuilt. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Sold. Sorry
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If I had sold it you would have the problem I will have my mechanic take a pic tomorrow. He is taking the motor and gears out to see if we can salvage it. I have no desire to plunk down $12k for a new crane, ugh

We bought a new motor for ours (Cordem, I think) and put new SS cable on it. We wanted a new control that had the button you push for in/out, rather than the original cylinder that has the knob you turn that takes both hands to operate - piece of crap that resembles a wedding cake inside. I do not, now, remember how much it was, but it was reasonable.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Ron, did you figure out the power problem you had in SF?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Mine quit last month. I had some missing teeth on the gears and the motor was rusted up. I lift a 14 Caribe with a 60 Yahama. Went to UMT Marine in Ft Lauderdale. Got new motor, gears and one hand control for about $700. http://www.umtmarine.com/.954.316.0327. Real good, quality people.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Mine quit last month. I had some missing teeth on the gears and the motor was rusted up. I lift a 14 Caribe with a 60 Yahama. Went to UMT Marine in Ft Lauderdale. Got new motor, gears and one hand control for about $700. http://www.umtmarine.com/.954.316.0327. Real good, quality people.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    We bought a new motor for ours (Cordem, I think) and put new SS cable on it. We wanted a new control that had the button you push for in/out, rather than the original cylinder that has the knob you turn that takes both hands to operate - piece of crap that resembles a wedding cake inside. I do not, now, remember how much it was, but it was reasonable.
    Yep, that's who makes the Golo winch. They rebuilt mine for $500, most of the issues were with the gears, worms, bearings etc which were in turn putting undue load on the motor, which was basically fine. Best thing to do is send the entire thing to them, not just the motor. Very nice folks. They will also test and verify the pulling capacity.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014