Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Holding Tank Pump Out Questions--55C

First, let me say I have fairly read most of what's been posted on the subject of corroded holding tank pick-ups and the range of fixes. That's been very helpful, thank you.

What I am interested in today is reaching out to anyone who might give me some first-hand input about accessing the tank tops in a 1983 Hatteras 55C in the galley-up configuration. I have two 40 gallon holding tanks, and neither will now evacuate more than a nominal amount of liquid. It appears I will have to pull up some carpet and cut-in a couple of accesses. It may be that I will have to also cut a tank top (or both) and reroute the waste hoses.

So if you have a 55C or similar sized convertible of the same era, it would be great to hear from you.

Thank you,
    Robert

Re: Holding Tank Pump Out Questions--55C

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    First, let me say I have fairly read most of what's been posted on the subject of corroded holding tank pick-ups and the range of fixes. That's been very helpful, thank you.

What I am interested in today is reaching out to anyone who might give me some first-hand input about accessing the tank tops in a 1983 Hatteras 55C in the galley-up configuration. I have two 40 gallon holding tanks, and neither will now evacuate more than a nominal amount of liquid. It appears I will have to pull up some carpet and cut-in a couple of accesses. It may be that I will have to also cut a tank top (or both) and reroute the waste hoses.

So if you have a 55C or similar sized convertible of the same era, it would be great to hear from you.

Thank you,
    Robert
    Hi Robert
    I have a 52c 1989 just replaced the the holding tank gage and the pick up. It was lockated under the carpet on the port side guest bed room. The cut out was already there with finger hold. Good luck this may not help as the year is diffrent and the size smaller. Best i can do except to say its a breath taker!

Thanks. I'll let you know if it's there.

I can't help you locate yours but I can say that I've never seen a Hatt that didn't have an access hatch for all tank connections. It may have been carpeted over by an owner but the hatch should be there. If you have the owners manuals, the tank diagram will show the location. If not call SAMs and they can tell you where it is.
    Jack Sardina

I have 55c. Before the cabinet, under carpet in guest stateroom is the access.

Our master has separate bed and between them under the carpet is the other access.

I was unable to open the caps to the holding tank. Drilled them out and replaced with plastic and
    fine ever since.

Dear Saltshaker,

If you ever see my boat you will have finally seen a Hat without access to tank fittings. The original plans call for port holding tank access in the companionway forward of the steps. Reverie gave me a heads up from his 55C. He correctly directed me to the spot in VIP stateroom which was interesting. You can see the fitting alright, but it is right below the companionway wall adjacent to the last step down. Plans call for access about 18" farther fwd and 8" more toward centerline. Oh well. Time to build up the tank top and cut a new access. While the boat has been well remodeled, no walls or steps or bunks have been relocated. In fact, this one access is the only panel not matching the plans. I pulled the carpeting in the companionway just to make sure--nada. A tough job made a little tougher, but that's life on the water.

Thanks Reverie for your help! Robert

The fittings in the top plate of the tank will probably be really stuck in there. But they will come out. I had a 3/4" drive breaker bar with a length of pipe on it and still had a hard time getting mine out. Don't cut into the tank. With the right tools you can get those out and reuse the original taps. Be persistent and don't worry about breaking the tank. Its tough.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks, but I have a wall directly above the fitting. When I say directly above, I mean DIRECTLY over the fitting. I know I can turn the fitting, but I can't raise it anywhere near vertically when it's loose. Going to have to make a new plate to thread a dip tube into.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks, but I have a wall directly above the fitting. When I say directly above, I mean DIRECTLY over the fitting. I know I can turn the fitting, but I can't raise it anywhere near vertically when it's loose. Going to have to make a new plate to thread a dip tube into.
    It would probably be easier to rebuild the wall. And the wall won't leak when you're finished.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You got that right sep I'm hardheaded. I've built up tank top #1 about 3/8" with glass. Making 5 x 7 1/4" SS plate with backer. Bolting together with 1/4 20 SS HEX heads. That's considerably stronger than OEM plate. Besides I hate hanging wallpaper.