Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: battery boxes

battery boxes

Hi all,

I have a 58yf with 8-71 with batteries in the generator room. does anyone have pics of batteries
    with boxes in the engine rooms. I am thinking of moving them to the engine room. any opinions?

henry

Re: battery boxes

I forgot to mention its 32v qty (4) 8v golf carts type batteries.

henry

Less heat in the generator room, maybe?

My Hatteras had two 8D battery boxes, made by Hatteras, in the engine room. I destroyed one taking it out. That was not a good idea, as I figured out later. They are very well made and also hard to remove. If you can't move one without damaging it, leave it where it is.

This was years ago, BTW- I would be a bit more intelligent now.

If anyone's got a Hatteras 8D case or two that they want to unload, PM me if you please.

Where in the ER would you put 4 8volt batteries?

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

As others have stated, that's not a good idea.

1) There is less heat in the gen room.
    2) The battery boxes fit the OEM 8v batts perfectly and you will tear them up getting them out. I took mine out and ended up reglassing them since they were in pieces once I got them removed.

What are you trying to accomplish? More room in genny room for what? Maybe others will have ideas for you if you state a purpose for doing this.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I agree, less heat, easy to fill with hydration system, even balance from side to side. I would not have the room for them in the engine room. My fear is having to remove them each time you needed to do any work in the ER.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I was planning to remove the old 15kw onan getset, and make room for a large battery bank (48v)
    for solar inverter 4kw for house use. i have a second getset in aft cockpit lazzrett. I was planning to use L-16 400 ah 6v x 8 approx 1000 lbs about the weight as the genset. in the generator space

As for the engine batteries i was thinking about a shelf along the each hull 10" X 48" battery box
    up off the floor. for 4 GC8 or T-185 approx 7x11in.each

where was the oem placement for the engine batteries?

henry

The batteries were in the generator room for all the boats of that series.

I dont know how big the aft genny is but if your planning on spending time in Florida or any of the gulf states you need all the power you can get for AC.

If you look at the battery charging parameters of lead acid you will see why solar is moving to LiFePo. Its much more efficient to charge and does not need to reach 100 % to prevent sulfating.

I do this quite often and If your in Florida PM me and we can talk.

Im a Victron Dealer/Installer and can design the system to meet your needs.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The batteries were in the generator room for all the boats of that series.

I dont know how big the aft genny is but if your planning on spending time in Florida or any of the gulf states you need all the power you can get for AC.

If you look at the battery charging parameters of lead acid you will see why solar is moving to LiFePo. Its much more efficient to charge and does not need to reach 100 % to prevent sulfating.

I do this quite often and If your in Florida PM me and we can talk.

Im a Victron Dealer/Installer and can design the system to meet your needs.

Hi Scott

I am from central florida ex space center electrical engineer. I like LIFPO batteries a lot I dont like the cost. I currently live in Purto Rico. its warm here too. I looked at victron products they look good but i have already bought magnum 4K sign inverter.

I plan to install a sun shade aluminium frame over the upper deck and cover it with solar.
    I would like to 2-3kw array make enough to run fridge lights water maker and cook top.
    with a small ac in the master cabin at nite. I plan to spend a lot of time on a mourning .

I have been successful with my 52ft ketch with 1.3kw array and two 600 watt wind gens to run the entire boat but no ac.. freezer water maker 30 gph microwave tv computer etc.

the battery bank is 16 golf cart batteries. it works good I have a 240 amp leece neville alternator as a back up
    if i run low of power. rarely happens.. I have been using the system for about 4yrs now. very
    low maintenance. the sailboat has the old heart interface 2.5kw modified sine inverter bullet
    proof.

henry