Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

that cruise ship

sort of surprised that I am first to mention.

wow, very happy that some 4500 souls survived. As a Deadliest Catch fan, the seas that this ship encountered made Bering sea look like a mill-pond. As has been stated by some in past threads in this forum, this ship looks top-heavy, and should just topple over sitting at the dock. Obviously we are not very good NA's. So what is it? You can't just have a 120' draft, or you could never enter cute little harbors. Form stability (she's beamy and hard-chined) doesn't buy you much in these conditions. Is it a lt of ballest?

Gary

Re: that cruise ship

Like most of us I've learned that the pictures or film never do the conditions justice. So, if it looks rough in the videos, it was nasty.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

SMH they didn't think it would be that bad??? I look at spagettimodels.com AKA mikes weather page every morning this was Forcast a week out. I think it was one of those typical bean counter calls where the captain is told to go or they will find someone to take his place.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Then the captain should have grown a pair and told the bean counters that it is his responsibility to make the go/no-go decision, not the bean counter's.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Then the captain should have grown a pair and told the bean counters that it is his responsibility to make the go/no-go decision, not the bean counter's.
    It doesn't sound like you've ever been in that position.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Can't say that I have. Worst I've ever done is disappoint the 5 other guys onboard by turning around at Montauk and heading back to port instead of offshore for 3 days because I just had a bad feeling about the wx for the trip.

That said, there is NO WAY I would have left port under the predicted conditions.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Maybe this captain was the someone else they found.

OTOH, considering some of the other horrific blunders made by some other social direct.... errrr,... hotel manage,....uhhh,... cruise ship captains, seamanship doesn't seem to be the number one item on the resume.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Can't say that I have. Worst I've ever done is disappoint the 5 other guys onboard by turning around at Montauk and heading back to port instead of offshore for 3 days because I just had a bad feeling about the wx for the trip.

That said, there is NO WAY I would have left port under the predicted conditions.
    Better to disappoint them vs taking them swimming instead of fishing. I had to "disappoint" an owner during a delivery because of weather, and despite the fact he wanted to argue the point, we tucked tail and went back to where we had started out that day and sat out a tropical storm we were trying to stay ahead of. Turns out it was a big blessing in disguise (for us and the boat), but that's a whole other story.

As for this cruise ship incident, I saw on the news this morning where all passengers received refunds for that trip along with a 50% discount on their next cruise. I'm guessing that will make some folks happy while others will be suing for everything under the sun.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

It should say {Worst I've ever done is keep the 5 other guys on-board SAFE by turning around at Montauk and heading back to port }

One morning of a overnighter we had two fish on board from the evening before, dead all night and here is morning marking fish. It was same spot that everyone else said day before around 10 am they hammered them and its just a matter of time for them to come up then the buss on the radio started! Guys with xm weather see a 200 mile+ wide red blob heading for the canyons still 1-2 hrs away what to do? Well after some discussion I said we Leave some crew not sure one not happy about it saying we can run right into it yeah but we would be a LOT closer to shore and I say I can make it. About 2 hrs later I am off Shinnecock and hear someone call for weather report in the Canyons. Boat reports back saying we are getting are Ass kicked that cover it? When we left most boats were 50' or above and were in a tournament so money was on the line.
    When we got in I ask the one crew mate did you hear the report he was down below he just mumbled yeah
    We never had the seas's kick up no rain but a lot of dark sky behind us
    Did it then will do it again same as you should sometimes its hard be the captain and making those decisions but just think about it going Bad

Live to Fish but live another day to continue fishing ! You catch more that way they say I say I just need to retire to catch more
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Then he would have been fired for insubordination gone on his record and resume. Happens all the time in aviation. It's a constant pressure on people who daily have to make go/no go decisions.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present