Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Repacking prop shaft

I am attempting to repack my port shaft on an older 34 DC with an 1 3/8 shaft. I had no difficulty
    getting the old packing out. According to everyone that I have spoken to and measuring the best that I
    could, I found that I need a 5/16 packing. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in my attempt to
    install the packing in the gland nut. I have made multiple attempts to install the packing into the nut
    with no success. I have even bought other packing to make sure that I did not have packing that was
    packaged incorrectly. Has anyone had this problem? I really need help/advice getting the packing into
    the gland nut.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Repacking prop shaft

Is it too thick to fit? Maybe go down one size or a little massage with a hammer to thin it out.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If it's the correct side I would suggest smashing it a little flatter with a hammer. It sounds funny but it works. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Yes, its too thick. I tried smashing with a hammer a little but that didn't help either. I did not mention
    this in my initial post as I didn't want to be too lengthy but I went back to a trusted marine store and
    they said I could probably go down to 1/4 inch and just add an additional wrap making it 4 vs 3.
    whats everyones feeling on that..Thanks

Not sure what the product is called but West Marine carries a flex packing that you can roll out to any thickness. It's green in color. I'll look it up and get back to you if I find it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Dripless mouldable packing..
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks Seven, What is your feeling with dropping a size and adding a ring

Your trying to seal water out. If the packing nut can smash it so it does not leak, it will most likely be ok. If it drips even when docked it tells you it didn't.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Measure the space if possible. There could only be room for 1/4".
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The correct size is the one that fits. If 1/4" is the best fit go for it. Ron