Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question A really dumb question for a really smart guy on a 52 Convertible (Battery Banks)

Hello good folks:

I've got a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway, because I can't get the answer without a lot of travel and discomfort!

I've got an 1985, 52 convertible. When I went down before the big storm, I found the battery charger cycling rapidly and the battery cells low. I had to turn off the charger, assuming that I had a shorted cell. I didn't want to burn up the charger.

So, I recently shattered a vertebrae in my back and I can't get down to trace out which bank I'm having issues with, but it's the bank that handles the generator and starboard engine. Also, the boat is 1.5 hours away!

The questions I pose to you.....Does anyone know which bank serves the Genset and Starboard engine? Is it the bank down the walkway or the bank that's forward and outbound of the port engine?

Hoping someone can save me some crawling around!

Thanks,
    Vince

Re: A really dumb question for a really smart guy on a 52 Convertible (Battery Banks)

Vince. My 52 has a separate 12v battery for Gen & Electronis located under the engine room stairs. In addition to that single, each engine has a bank of two batteries (24v total) for starting. In my particular instance, each "system" also has its own dedicated charger; one for 12v and one for 24v. From my experience, once one of the engine batteries get weak, replace all of them simultaneously. Brett

Re: A really dumb question for a really smart guy on a 52 Convertible (Battery Banks)

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    Vince. My 52 has a separate 12v battery for Gen & Electronis located under the engine room stairs. In addition to that single, each engine has a bank of two batteries (24v total) for starting. In my particular instance, each "system" also has its own dedicated charger; one for 12v and one for 24v. From my experience, once one of the engine batteries get weak, replace all of them simultaneously. Brett
    Thanks Brett:

I have the original 32Volt System with two banks of batteries; each bank with (4), 8-Volt batteries. I believe this was the original configuration for this model year and older. I also have a 12 volt system for electronics with separate charger, but that system is not in question right now.

Thanks so much for taking time to respond!

Vince

It may not be the battery, it might be the charger. If you turn off the charger for 15 minutes and turn it back on, does it charge the batteries and if so do they hold a charge. I think I have a similar problem as mine is fine except when the boat sits unused for an extended period such as winter layup.
    Jack Sardina

Timely topic. Is yours a Sentry? I have the same problem occurring on my Sentry Charger on my 43' Conv. It cycles rapidly when set to Auto mode.

I noticed it this past weekend as I was working by it replacing my ventilation blowers. I had planned on posting a question about it, but completely forgot. I'm going to try Jack's approach and turn it off for 15 minutes the next time I'm there.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Sounds like really great timing for the question, as there are a couple of us with this issue! Yes, mine is a Sentry and have not had an issue until now. The only exception is that I don't know how old my batteries are and I had problems starting my generator and my starboard engine at the end of the year. I also had problems getting to them so they went low on water. Naturally, I have assumed that I have a bad bank, since one bank doesn't crank well and now the charger is cycling madly. I figured that I cooked a battery and shorted the cells, causing the charger's sensing circuits to cycle repeatedly.

If anyone come's up with a better diagnosis or suggestion, please forward it. I will say that I took my charger off-line for several days and also for about an hour. When I powered it back up it took a couple minutes, then started cycling, faster and faster. To me that indicated a bad battery heating-up and causing resistance.

Just my intuitive SWAG!

Still would like to know if anyone can direct me to which bank is which, without me having to drive to the boat and crawl around with a bad back!

Thanks!

Typically the house batts are not on the same bank as the Gen.

Brett yours is not as original so it will be a little different with the cats which i wish i had you lucky rascal.
    As to the quoted problem and issues. The generator has its on 12 volt battery all by its self. The house bank is the one behind the port engine. The battery in the walk way only cranks the starboard engine. If the charger is clicking and the needle is jumping. That sentury charged is cooked or you have a bad battery or two. CURE Replace battery or batteries purchase a charged cause there is not any more chargers like the one you have if it is the original one.
    I own a 52c and just went through this issue. After you purchase 4 batteries and a smart charged you are going to be about 3 to 4 gran lighter. Happy valentines day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Brett yours is not as original so it will be a little different with the cats which i wish i had you lucky rascal.
    As to the quoted problem and issues. The generator has its on 12 volt battery all by its self. The house bank is the one behind the port engine. The battery in the walk way only cranks the starboard engine. If the charger is clicking and the needle is jumping. That sentury charged is cooked or you have a bad battery or two. CURE Replace battery or batteries purchase a charged cause there is not any more chargers like the one you have if it is the original one.
    I own a 52c and just went through this issue. After you purchase 4 batteries and a smart charged you are going to be about 3 to 4 gran lighter. Happy valentines day.
    Hey Tim:

Thanks for the info! Actually my generator is the original Onan 20kw with a 32 volt starter (try finding one of those!) So if everything is as you've stated, my change-out will be a bit easier, as I am hoping to be changing the batteries down the center of the boat's walkway. My Generator, in fact, does share a battery bank with one of the engines and it would seem to be the Starboard engine based on location of the battery disconnect panels and fuses and the fact that they both start weak. I'll probably start with those "easier to change" batteries and then if I still have issues, work my way down to the tougher stuff. I don't think the charger is toast (wishful thinking)!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Typically the house batts are not on the same bank as the Gen.
    Thanks Capt. Dave!

I'm starting to think that my port engine and house are on the port side, in front of the port engine. The bank running up the center most likely takes care of the Generator and the Starboard engine.

The disconnect shows the Generator on the Starboard bank, but with my broken back, it's hard to trace out which bank serves that disconnect. Logic tells me it's the bank up the middle, being the bank closest to the starboard engine.

Thanks Dave! Hope you're doing well!

IMG_1407.jpg