Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Onboard Printer

Onboard Printer

Does anyone have any experience to share regarding a printer on their boat?

It may sound simple, but here are the concerns:

Ink jets nozzles tend to clog when not used often. The cleaning cycles necessary to get a clean print after sitting blows the ink budget out of the window, not to mention the time and paper waste.

We had a laser for a while that eventually started smoking when we fired it up after sitting. I don't know if that was salt air or whether it got leaked on.

Size matters...bigger is not better.

Network printing via WiFi is also a big plus. Having to cart a laptop down and find a place to set it while you plug in to print one page is a pain.

Anyway, I'm looking for any personal experience folks may have had with something in a salty environment, that gets used occasionally, with decent reliability.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Re: Onboard Printer

Used ocasionally is your problem. I have 2 brother printers at the house that I just keep feeding ink and they keep running. If I turned one off it would gum up and cause me issues so I use both. This is true with any ink jet. Use it or loose it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If you need straight printing, not bells and whistles, I've have great luck with the HP Laser printers now called the P1102W. I've had 4 in various locations for years, including the boat. No issues and I do a lot of printing, but rarely change the cartridge because I float between them so much.

I have junker laserjet too that I use just for scan/fax and stuff but never print because of the infernal cartridge issues. Hate em.

http://www.staples.com/HP-reg-LaserJ...product_855649

I don't think the salty air is the issue especially if kept in an air con'd boat. The problem is lack of use.

I don't keep one on board anymore as I don't use it enough. If I do again I ll be looking at one with the smallest and cheapest ink cartridges. Nowadays with multi functions available for $100 the cartridges are the most important thing

Wireless printing from IOS is big plus
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had a Brother MFC-495CW on mine. Wireless, used it quite a bit. Compact, never had a problem.
    It's now here in the house. Still plugging along.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I use an HP LaserJet P1102W. Absolutely no issues. Wireless connection so easily hidden in end table. Toner cartridge lasts forever. Around $100 for the printer. Not color but I don't need color on board.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

The price of the cheap brothers laser printers go up and down, u can use amazon price tracker to check. I usually buy these around $80. I buy one for every job site I attend and then just leave it there if I flew, take it home in car if I drove. Wireless is easy to set up, toner lasts forever (and a new toner is cheap). Way better than inkjets.

Spend $20-50 more up front and you will save hundreds in ink later. Also, when you print on laser printer, you can get paper wet and txt won't smear.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LZS5EEI

For a while it was 89.99...track prices here by pasting amazon link: https://thetracktor.com/
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I have two Brother all-in-one ink jets. The boat unit is wireless. The key to keep them operating is to use them. In my case, when we are at the condo, we run a test page monthly on the boat. When cruising, the house keeper/watcher runs a test page monthly. This has been going for 6 years. Ink for them from Merritt Line (generic) is cheap and has been fool proof. At least as good as Brothers.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I have two Brother all-in-one ink jets. The boat unit is wireless. The key to keep them operating is to use them. In my case, when we are at the condo, we run a test page monthly on the boat. When cruising, the house keeper/watcher runs a test page monthly. This has been going for 6 years. Ink for them from Merritt Line (generic) is cheap and has been fool proof. At least as good as Brothers.

Bobk

I have a drawer full of their ink for my standard printer but the 11 x 17 takes cartridges they don't yet have. So I bite the bullet and buy the brothers. When meritline gets the ones I need ill buy them too.

I wish I could get away with a page or two a month. together they burn through a ream of paper a month.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I bought a really cheap ink jet printer ($39) last summer. and left it on the boat. I used it , but not enough that I had to buy any ink

If it works this year that would be great, but if not Ill just buy a new one