Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compass Repair

Compass Repair

There's an outfit named Island Compass South in South Carolina that says they do compass repair. I sent my compass there in early November. I've called many, many times, and nine times out of ten, get an answering machine. On one rare occasion where I spoke to someone, I was assured my compass was repaired and would be sent back to me within a week. That's now been several weeks, and phone calls again go unanswered and unreturned. Keep this in mind if you need this service.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Re: Compass Repair

Make sure to post it on YELP. Hopefully you will have a happy ending but it's good to know where fellow boaters should not go. Thanks
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It may seem unfair but we usually don't post negative information on companies on the forum. If we start that we will have to allow companies to post the names of members who don't pay their bills. Just to be fair you understand. It's a double edged sword.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    It may seem unfair but we usually don't post negative information on companies on the forum. If we start that we will have to allow companies to post the names of members who don't pay their bills. Just to be fair you understand. It's a double edged sword.
    That's fine with me. I'd like to know both.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Scott, if this was opinion, I'd agree with you, but I have a log of dates and times. Facts is facts.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

I can show you unpaid bills too. It's not fact or fiction. The site rules state that no negative posts for vendors be made. Post a general not to pm for the company name and details but we need to be consistent.

Im not disagreeing with your claim. In fact I hate vendors like that. They make honest people and fair vendors cringe.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    That's fine with me. I'd like to know both.
    Your on the list.

Of people who pay and do the right thing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Your on the list.

Of people who pay and do the right thing.

HEY!!! You're on my list too!!!

Of somebody that I would actually let work on my boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Just a short word on Island Compass. I searched the internet, called friends and finally was given
    this young man's name and company. Called and got an estimate on repair.
    Sent him my compass, which had lost all fluid and was in bad shape. While I did need to phone
    several times, I realized that compass repair is not his full time occupation. I guess sometimes
    when someone is trying to provide a service and make some extra money, they are not as efficient nor as perfect in communications as we would all like. He also had to look at the compass, determine what was wrong, order the parts and do the repair.
    I was very pleased to find someone who would do the work. There are not people lined up to do this sort of repair.
    He not only repaired my compass to almost new condition and performance, he did it at a very
    reasonable cost. I made sure to send it to him in the non, for me, boating season.

By the way, he gave me an estimate from my description of the problem and he came within $25 of meeting the estimate.
    I would highly recommend his work. Maybe not his telephone skills.

In the past, we have had members post saying that they had repairs done by Acme or whomever- if anyone wants to know their experience, PM them. That seems to work well enough.