Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Dreaded sanitation hose replacement

Just changed out the hose from the rear master in our 54 yesterday. Used about 43' Trident green stripe for runs from GM pump to siphon break and siphon break to the T by the tank. Did a couple things I think helped a lot: pulled both ways from the engine room, i.e. back to the siphon break and forward to the Tee. Also cut a small piece of 1" dowel and inserted on the new and old hose secured with a couple of screws. Was able to pull the old and fish the new in one operation. Did not even need any lubricant! Took me and a helper about 4 hours including a trip to buy a new vented loop (the old one was job rigged with lots of bronze/brass fitting and a nylon valve).

I finally learned the first thing new plumbers know: pay day is Friday and shit flows downhill

Re: Dreaded sanitation hose replacement

Congratulations on a great job. I especially liked the 1" dowel trick. I'll have to remember that one. Ron

Great idea. Sounds similar to pulling throttle cables but with a twist. Thanks for sharing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

In the spirit of full disclosure and accurate reporting, I did have a twist in the hose coil and inadvertently replaced a 90 degree bend with a 450 degree loop at the forward ER bulkhead Guess I'm not going to get that journeyman plumber designation

Well at least you were honest.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Congratulations! I had to replace every sewage hose on my 4-head 58MY all by myself. That is a job which NO ONE wants to volunteer to help. I got 'er done, though, including the rebuild of the dip tube for one of my holding tanks, and replacement of all four heads. Having a helper....priceless, I would imagine!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Congratulations! I had to replace every sewage hose on my 4-head 58MY all by myself. That is a job which NO ONE wants to volunteer to help. I got 'er done, though, including the rebuild of the dip tube for one of my holding tanks, and replacement of all four heads. Having a helper....priceless, I would imagine!
    In a word: YES

Pump rebuild at Raz: $450.00
    50 ft hose: $285.00
    Vented loop, clamps, etc. $100.00
    Helper: $100.00
    Look on the Admiral's face after completion: PRICELESS

You had a helper for $100? You need to rent them out and pocket the difference. LOL

I hoped to get a helper (read: someone to do it for me!) at Man-O-War Cay, Bahamas, a few years ago. No go. So I walked to the ship's store there and bought about 20 ft. of ribbed sanitation hose. Was walking back to the dock with the hose coiled over my shoulder when a voice came from beneath one of the maintenance sheds, "Well, that looks like a shitty job." It was the yard foreman, who was kind enough to lend me a heat gun. Made removal and replacement much easier.

Was about a 10 hour job, having to both pull and push one hose rib at a time through the double-wall engine room bulkhead into the engine room, around the transmission and CO2 cylinder, up to the holding tank/through hull manifold. I still remember how tired and sore I was by the time I finished.

By the way, my "discussion" with The Admiral that two working heads out of three should be sufficient even for my grandchildren was apparently not well received.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932