Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cold Molded Boats

Earlier this week, a new Spencer went down on it's delivery voyage. (http://yachtforums.com/threads/break...h-sinks.25929/) I've often wondered if some amount of impact resistance is lost (when compared to solid glass) in the Cold Molding search for yet more weight savings and speed. Some years ago in a previously owned Bertram, I impacted a rock at 25kts that brought the boat to a violent halt. The running gear was a mess, but, the bilges were dry...

Re: Cold Molded Boats

From what I understand from other sources and forums there was no insurance on the vessel at the time ( owner hadn't taken possession yet, Spencer's coverage is for -250 NM ). Not first hand info but somewhat reliable...glad no injuries to speak of, that will keep SOME of the ambulance chasers at bay. Feel terrible for her owner and even worse for whomever was at the helm.....

Since nobody knows the facts yet of what exactly happened to the Spencer I think questioning the integrity of cold molded boats is premature. As an example they could have been traveling at 35 knots or more, the shafts and or rudders could have pulled out, etc. There's plenty of solid frp boats that have been holed by reefs. Btw, the 74 was built on a jig with a foam core, not plywood which is the more traditional coring.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Those pics are sickening to look at. Reminds me of a big motor yacht I saw in the TCI's last spring where a delivery captain plotted a straight course over a reef with the same result. Brand new boat on its maiden voyage as well.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Here's the boat that found the reef and had to be refloated.

IMG_1880.jpg
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Forgot about this one...
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that cold molded boats are stronger or weaker. Rybovich uses three layers of 1/4" mahogany in a tri-directional pattern. I doubt many FRP boats would have a hull stronger than that. It all depends on the construction of the boat in question. Being that it's a Spencer and not some back yard builder., I doubt the hull was weak or built for light duty.
    Jack Sardina

Mail order captains! Lol I'm an exspurt cause I have active captain on my smart phone. I've seen time after time people spend a kazillion $$ on a boat then hire some dipshit to run it. I had a friend with a brand new 58 Monterey back in the day had his buddy (an aluminum siding butcher) run the boat. Wasn't a year old and he drove it up on the beach in Delaware.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Similar to the Tar Baby that hit the Orange Beach jetty. Doesn't matter at the speed boats run today, the running gear is probably coming off at minimum. Was on a sea trial when the owner/captain grounded on a sandbar at cruise speed, no visible hull damage but the props and shafts came out plus the rudders were bent 90 degrees. Sinking was not a problem being hard aground in about 30 inches of water. Kinda killed the boat deal!