Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: 1980 42' LRC - Anybody familiar with this boat?

[QUOTE=kjcampos;285091]
    Quote Originally Posted by dastahl View Post

hi Skooch....where did you get fuel for $1.44???
    cheapest i have seen is Ballard Oil in Fort Myers Beach $1.899 next to the Key West Express

Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Fuel was $1.44 with taxes earlier this week at Ocean Petroleum Brunswick GA. Another $.05 off for 1000 or more. I could not get there. Nothing in Florida even gets close right now. Ft. Pierce truck fill quoted $1.75.
    Skooch
    Daytona Beach FL

Lady Brockhaven is probably re-storable. Like I said when when was on her 6-7 years ago she was in above average shape. I help him get a new refer in that year. Sea cocks need to be exercised and most likely will be fine when serviced. Hopefully they are soaking is something. She had stabilizers that real good. She most likely has outdated electronics.

Like Pete said the tranmissions are BW and 2.97 to 1 reduction. I bought a new one 10 years ago for $3000 at an expensive shipyard. Should have paid $1800. I always find its the little crappy things that drive the cost of restorations up and up. Like the motor mounts which Hatteras built on site and are very expensive get a machine shop to make them. Things like headliners and mold removal.

I'll be down Stuart in a few days. Might get a chance to run over and see her. Did you go see her yet.
    Call Doug Birely surveyor 954-646-7219 he knows the 42s and general LRCs. He may give it a quick look for a few bucks. He lives right there.

Skooch
    Daytona Beach

Thanks, I have not been down to look at the boat yet. I'm in SC. If you get the chance to see her it certainly be helpful. I will give Doug a call and see what he has to say.

[QUOTE=dastahl;285243]
    Quote Originally Posted by kjcampos View Post

Fuel was $1.44 with taxes earlier this week at Ocean Petroleum Brunswick GA. Another $.05 off for 1000 or more. I could not get there. Nothing in Florida even gets close right now. Ft. Pierce truck fill quoted $1.75.
    Skooch
    Daytona Beach FL
    Skooch ...Ballard Oil in Ft. Myers Beach next to the Key West Express is $ 1.899 tax included $0.05 off for 500 gal. or more....cash or check ....he doesn't take credit cards....i make a point to stop there and top off on my way north or south and spend a night or 2 at the Pink Shell Marina great place to go...

Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Just out of curiosity what are the small fins just ahead of the stabilizers? They look like vortex generators on an aircraft wing. Is there a point where the stabilizers cavitate and loose effectiveness? Or are they for some sort of harmonic vibration?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Just out of curiosity what are the small fins just ahead of the stabilizers? They look like vortex generators on an aircraft wing. Is there a point where the stabilizers cavitate and loose effectiveness? Or are they for some sort of harmonic vibration?
    I think they are to re-direct crab pot lines around the fins. If I ever see a source I would add some.
    Skooch

The 58 LRC is a lot of boat beneath the waterline! Drawing close to 6' I agree with David, it's not the best island hopping boat.
    52 tons in the slings, if I recall correctly.
    David, any pics of Big Skooch?

It is my understanding that the small fins in front of the stabilizers are called Pope Deflector Fins and are for the purpose of protecting the large stabilizer fins from damage involving most things in the water that may hit them, such as logs, crab pot lines, floating debris, etc... Seems like a handy feature.

Man, I miss that boat. That was a gorgeous 58 LRC. The most TV sets I've ever seen on one private vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Man, I miss that boat. That was a gorgeous 58 LRC. The most TV sets I've ever seen on one private vessel.

Me too Jim!
    I miss the projects and piddling around making her a great vessel...
    But most of all I miss what an exceptional cruising boat she is.

As mentioned above, LRC's are no speed demons and at 7-7.5 knots, we spent many evenings pulling into anchorages and marinas after dark. For some reason, it always took us longer to get from point A to point B than anticipated! And of course, there is NO Full Throttle. That only got us 1-2 more knots!

The only thing I don't miss are the bills that came with keeping her in pristine condition.