Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

70 to 80ft Euro Style MY

I'm in the market for a 70 to 80ft Motoryacht for a family member. They love the look of the sleek new style, fast Euro looking yachts, Sunseeker, Ferretti, Princess, Lazzara, Azimut etc. I'm going to suggest maybe a 70 or 80 Hatteras MY but I'm not sure if it's sleek enough for them. I have pretty good knowledge of the Ferretti line from working for Allied Marine when they were a dealer but with the others not so much. Other then ALL Of Them, are there any in particular I should completely avoid, and are there any companies one of you may suggest.

They are looking late model with the biggest hit of depreciation gone. maybe a 2 to 5 year old boat at max. They want as new as possible but without taking the big hit.

I would prefer CATS or MTU 2000 series Motors for them
    Also must have Double master or Master with a Nice VIP stateroom.
    Thinking 4 staterooms + Crew
    Budget??? Good deal that fits the criteria.

Any help here is greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Tony

Re: 70 to 80ft Euro Style MY

I was not impressed with the Azimuts. The last one I was on, the owner was so mad about the poor quality that he had called his salesman and told him to come pick up the boat. I toured it and the floor down below heading to the aft stateroom was spongy. Not good on a brand new boat.

The Lazarras seem to be put together much better.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I'll second what Sky said. There's a reason they are referred to as 'Muts. No first hand knowledge of the Lazzaras albeit I have heard a lot of good things about them from people who work on and run them. I know of a Hatteras owner who moved to a Neptunus and was very satisfied with the ride and quality of the boat. A friend's parents have one and love it. They run the boat from Maine to The Bahamas every year.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I'll second what Sky said. There's a reason they are referred to as 'Muts. No first hand knowledge of the Lazzaras albeit I have heard a lot of good things about them from people who work on and run them. I know of a Hatteras owner who moved to a Neptunus and was very satisfied with the ride and quality of the boat. A friend's parents have one and love it. They run the boat from Maine to The Bahamas every year.
    I also know of a former Hatteras owner who bought a Neptunus but I know nothing about the boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A big issue with many euro boats here in the US is that many are not set up for the kind of docks we have.

In Europe, med mooring and stepping off a passerelle at the stern is most common, using fenders between boats, they don't have pilings. As a result, many do no have rub rails and poor side access to either a floating dock or a fixed dock. There are any sleek euro style boats in Miami, and at our marina and I see people struggling getting on and off all th time from sunseekers, mutts, etc. There is a 70 mutt where the owner had to stick on non skid tape on the edge of th swim platform to get on an off as it is slick rounded fiberglass.

As to Mutt quality, electrical are supposed to be a pain. A few months ago we rafted up to newish 90 mutt and when I stepped on the platform to chat with the captain, I tought I was going to Go thru the glass. It was spongy and fully delaminated. Th captain told me they re having issues after issues, including severe delamination thru out the boat.

Of the boats you listed I would probably put Lazzara near the top, along with princess and Fairline. But again check the boarding on the princess and fairline.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks for the input so far. I also was thinking Viking Princess, Fairline etc. The buyers parents are in there 70's and he said he wants them to be able to access the boat which eliminates a few options as you mentioned Sky. It will need to have wide walkarounds so they can access on steps. I'd like to get them to look at a 80 Hatteras maybe. They're wanting a late model Used boat with some of the depreciation out of it but it make me wonder if Hatteras would make a great deal on a New 70 MY to try to get a few sold and out there. I doubt Viking would move much on their New 75MY as it seems Viking doesn't have any problems moving inventory nowadays.

Tony

I don't think I'd want a Viking/Princess. Resale is poor on them and those I've spoken to that run or own them never seem to be all that thrilled with the quality of the boat. I've been on a few of the smaller ones and was not impressed. Don't think they were any better than a Marquis.
    Jack Sardina

What about Riva Yachts or Cheoy Lee Yachts, the Alpha Series has that look?

Tony

Has anyone heard about Monte Carlo Yachts? The design looks nice but I'm not sure about the quality. Any thoughts or opinions?

Tony

I have a friend who just recently bought a 20 year old 76 Lazzara and loves every inch of it...including easy access to everything for a 70 year old. Way didn't like Viking/Princess... miserable layout. New 75 Viking is nice...but not for $6 Million. Maybe he should consider a 2000 plus model year Hatteras 75? The Marquis is built by Carver. There are too many issues with the foreign built boats. Ferretti probably worst of all.