Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: what a wast

Re: what a wast

Obviously if your budget is only for the purchase price then this boat would be a huge mistake. My point was if you are looking for a boat like this and she is solid then this may be a good deal. Anyone buying a 52C with a 60K budget will be in over thier head. There are plenty of us who have the boats we have because we bought boats at a reasonable price and improved them ourselves. Isn't the purpose of this forum to help mostly DIY Hatteras owners?
    Jack Sardina

Guys i own a 1989 52c. for this boat to become a 52 you would be proud of plan to spend 200k.
    then the darn thang aint worth but about 200$ max. Screwed before you get started.
    I made a offer to National for 25k who knows parts for me. Props shafts gears and sutch.

Have you seen the boat? Not every boat has to have a refit. If she is a good running boat and the hull is sound, she could be a nice boat for a DIYer
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Have you seen the boat? Not every boat has to have a refit. If she is a good running boat and the hull is sound, she could be a nice boat for a DIYer
    I have not seen the boat sight unseen it is worth 25 to 40 just for the parts! The two transmissions are worth 5 to 10 grand each not to mention turbos starters and sutch. From the picks it looks dead to me.
    O what the heck is a DIYer just hit me do it yourself.
    Quickly
    1. it needs a top and new cushions and enclosdet there goes 25,000
    2.a genorator if not now soon 10,000
    3.if you going to fish needs chair 15000 to 25000
    4.paint as you say diy maybee 7000 to 25000
    5.You gotta pay to keep it somewhere 2 to 3000 per year

IT IS NOT WORTH IT Jack. If you want to purchase i will with draw my bid that goes for any HOFer
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 12-17-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Jacks right. If the engines have some life in them this could be a runner. Like my dad used to say everything is in a constant state of deterioration. Then he'd tell me my boat looked like a garbage scow. Over 40 years my boat been perfect and it's also been run hard and put up wet. Take a brand new boat and run a season of back to back offshore charters in the NE canyons and it won't look much better than this.i don't make people take their shoes off to come aboard. I really can't stand people who are anal about keeping their boats perfect. The boats a tool to use and abuse. I put 9 swordfish on the boat one night in August of 1980 when we ran out of cockpit room we drug 4 of them into the salon. I still remember standing at the cockpit controls watching the fish rolling back and forth on the salon floor while we were fighting another. Like Quint most of us who are diehard lunatic fishermen will destroy or sink our boats before losing a fish.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I have not seen the boat sight unseen it is worth 25 to 40 just for the parts! The two transmissions are worth 5 to 10 grand each not to mention turbos starters and sutch. From the picks it looks dead to me.
    O what the heck is a DIYer just hit me do it yourself.
    Quickly
    1. it needs a top and new cushions and enclosdet there goes 25,000
    2.a genorator if not now soon 10,000
    3.if you going to fish needs chair 15000 to 25000
    4.paint as you say diy maybee 7000 to 25000
    5.You gotta pay to keep it somewhere 2 to 3000 per year

IT IS NOT WORTH IT Jack. If you want to purchase i will with draw my bid that goes for any HOFer
    Tim I luv ya buddy but you shop at the hi priced stores I go to Walmart .
    1 my guy in FtP just did my enclosure and top for 5k cushions? cushions don't catch fish
    2 generator 10k?ok but I could get 5k for the old one so 5k net
    3 chair. Dania flea market 3k all the chairs you want
    4 paint? Who cares?
    5 slip rent? Ok but it costs the same no matter how much the boats worth.
    And if you have a cheap runner with solid bones the more $$$ you have for fuel to be out there doing what the boat was designed for.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Tim I luv ya buddy but you shop at the hi priced stores I go to Walmart .
    1 my guy in FtP just did my enclosure and top for 5k cushions? cushions don't catch fish
    2 generator 10k?ok but I could get 5k for the old one so 5k net
    3 chair. Dania flea market 3k all the chairs you want
    4 paint? Who cares?
    5 slip rent? Ok but it costs the same no matter how much the boats worth.
    And if you have a cheap runner with solid bones the more $$$ you have for fuel to be out there doing what the boat was designed for.
    Its your choice of the quality of Hat you want to ride. I find if i let things go they just get worse and worse with time.
    You know the saying a painters house needs painting and a plumbers house has leaks.If that true wonder what a boat fixers boat needs. No punt intended...just food for thought

SORRY SCOTT THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!

Its your choice of the quality of Hat you want to ride. I find if i let things go they just get worse and worse with time.
    You know the saying a painters house needs painting and a plumbers house has leaks.If that true wonder what a boat fixers boat needs. No punt intended...just food for thought

Mine needs to be used more.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The quality is there whether it looks pretty or not. Like the motorcycle guys say "chrome don't get you home". These kind of boats only make sense for knowledgable DIY people. If your $ are limited they need to go into mechanicals and safety equiptment. Then again if it's Thurston Howell the third and sit on the back deck in his yacht club blazer dipping his wieners in grey poupon while impressing his dock neighbors he shouldn't be looking at sport fish in the first place!
    Last edited by rsmith; 12-17-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Yes, the $$ WILL go into mechanicals. Keeping it looking good is largely a matter of elbow grease. A can of varnish, metal polish, wax and even a strategically placed and well executed roll 'n tip won't break the bank.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay