Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: What does a white interior do to value?

A number of years ago when we visited the Hatteras factory we toured a new MY, I forget how large it was, but I was disappointed at how little wood they used particularly on the lower level where the staterooms were. We were told that "for a charge" you could get one fitted out with more wood.

For example, in some of the hallways there was a beige "leatherette" type of material used. I would not have been happy to spent that much $$ on a new boat and not have it feel like a Hatteras.

The convertible we toured was all done in wood and was super nice. $$$

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

OK Sea Eric...You already know where my line of thinking comes from regarding condition. Why would an otherwise "nicely maintained" older Hatteras be painted out inside, except to cover something up? Even when done well, it will never look totally "right". I've always had a theory that the nicer the original interior woods are, the nicer the whole boat tends to be. Beautiful wood, even older darker woods can be stripped, bleached and refinished...and then offset with light neutral colored carpet, fabrics and lighting. Yes everyone's taste is different. Modern Veneers make anything possible today...especially when you get creative. White-out is a total "cheap-out" in my opinion. Deduct 50%.

I've also seen a few older Hatteras interiors ruined by owners who add wood floors throughout that don't even come close to matching the bulkheads. Then...they add that black leather sofa from Rooms to Go, and you might as well install chains and shackles! Some people like dungeons.

I'll toss in my $.02. First, I don't think Hatteras wood work is any thing to brag about. Compare it to almost any Taiwan boat and you willl see the difference. In terms of color, I much prefer the honey teak of the Taiwan boats and thought the dark wood on my 48' was a compromise. The Taiwan teak s light because a two part epoxy is used to prime the wood and it does not develop the deeper color of oiled or varnished teak.

As for white paint, count me out with the others... As part of an original well decorated job, I have seen some that I like in light colors, but no way for paint. What's that hiding that the owner wouldn't spend to fix. Also, removing paint and restoring to Hatteras origonal is a huge job. Ask Walt if you ever get tempted.

Bobk

Paint, no way. Not for me. BUT, I do like my white mica galley. I think it brightens up an otherwise factory dark wood galley . Teak and holly floors and a wooden nautical starred dinette table softens the galley look.
    Last edited by MarioG; 11-29-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Regarding Bobs comments..... I completely agree. While the Hatteras interiors were/are for the most part a thing of beauty, they made no effort to match the grain between panels. The Dupont oil that they used was fine.....but has a tendency to darken with age. In the later 80's and into the 90's light interiors became popular. Probably more because marketing folks promoted it then any other reason. The "White Ash" interiors of the late 80's and 90"s used cheaper wood and the "white wash" wore off fairly easy exposing the base wood. Looks like hell when that happens.

As far as stripping out the white painted interiors... I can attest that it is a monster job...but it can be done. My 1982 48MY had a bunch of the original teak/afromosia interior coated with Awlgrip by a PO to "bring it up to date" A very good job and the paint was practically flawless but I hated it. When I bought the boat the plan was to redo the interior, which I did. All new wall panels, trim, cabinet doors, drawer fronts etc. The mid stateroom and the fwd stateroom were still original but that was all. I have no idea what it would have cost me to have all that work professionally done but I doubt that it would be cheap. Then again, nothing on a boat is cheap. Would I ever buy another boat that has be violated in such a manner....NOT IN THIS LIFETIME.

To quote Linda Lovelace (from the 70"s movie), "Different strokes for different folks"

Walt