Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What does a white interior do to value?

The trend in homes is to have all white painted doors, woodwork and cabinets. Maybe some buyers like the fresh look of all white. I prefer a darker wood interior but many feel these old Hatts are too dark inside. The point about lighting making a big difference is spot on.
    Jack Sardina

Not a trick question at all. I'm trying to separate my personal opinion from what the market may dictate.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Like many things it's probably a matter of personal preference but I also wouldn't look at a boat with a light interior.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

A few years back there was a 58YF on the market, much of the interior had been painted white. I didn't care for it at all.

The bigger question might be how could you undo the change if at some time you get tired of the look
    or change your mind. If you stop liking carpet, couches, curtains or the coffee table the fix is easier than painted on or glued finishes.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    For me, whenever I see that I immediately throw it out of the mix. I wouldn't even consider it. The value is about the same as a sinker as far as I'm concerned.
    I think that's a bit extreme; it's an insult to sinkers everywhere.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I am a traditionalist and like the dark wood which means Hatteras to me. But, IMHO, there is a difference between those Hatts designed as light or white from the outset - i.e., "part of a look", and those painted out white as part of a redo. Former can be a really good look (Ft Laud) that some people prefer and I've seen a few that looked nice and I could live with. But I have a hard time with the latter - those painted out white. Not sure I could get over that aspect on a Hatteras because I like things the way they were designed to look.

OTOH, good friend had a big (leaky) trawler that I spent a lot of time on in the past. It came to him with the interior mostly painted out white because the interior wood was just too far gone from leaks. While I could never be the one to actually paint it, I will admit it was brighter and all around nice and cheery. Most everyone said the same once they got aboard. But, of course, it wasn't a Hatteras.

I think of the interior of an Island Packet. Sure it's a sail boat, but the white interior with the tastefull use of wood trim is very apealing. With the number of sail boaters going power, I would think there is a market.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I like lighter woods. The ash or light oak is nice. Really makes a huge difference on inside space. I prefer lighter woods in homes and RV's. My RV has solid oak all throughout...the "fancier" option was walnut. The walnut is much darker and the same size space looks/feels smaller.

With that said, painted all white would be gross.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    I think of the interior of an Island Packet. Sure it's a sail boat, but the white interior with the tastefull use of wood trim is very apealing. With the number of sail boaters going power, I would think there is a market.
    Sailors refer to that as the "Hereshoff look".

Right, and some Trumpys (Trumpies?lol) looked like that, too. Very handsome if done right. Very few power boats look that way anymore.