Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

48 forward cabin mod

We're liking the 48CMY.... the only thing that is an issue is the over/under in the forward cabin. Has anyone successfully modified this into a double?

Thanks,

Re: 48 forward cabin mod

Or on a 53 my

See my prior posts on how that upper berth is a structural member reinforcing the bow. Jack Hargrave rarely put anything not needed in there.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I'll buy that. But I have also removed load bearing walls in my house, and properly installed headers. So I'm looking for someone who, taking your point into account, has successfully remodeled the space whilst installing whatever structural elements needed...... It CAN be done, just need to do the homework. Hargrave was good, but not a magician. If someone has done it, would save me time.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 11-26-2015 at 04:30 PM.

I am about to do it on my 53MY. Well, after the master/guest merger is complete, after the repower is done etc... So probably around March april.

From what I have seen, the bunks, head wall and washer dryer closet are not structural. Considering how those hulls are built and considering how sharp the hulls entry is I can see any need for any structural reinforcement inside except of course the forward bulkhead. I will check the tabbing and reinforced if needed.

The biggest obstacle to converting bunks to centerline full is that you need to remove the head and the washer closet. For most 53 owners that's not feasible. In my case it will work because I moved the galley upand will build a new head where the dinette used to be. An alternative while keeping the galley down woudl be to move the galley where the dinette is (more open to th saloon) and build a new head where the galley is on port side.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat