Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Re: STILL water in STBD ER

ok my exit point is clear - I had a blockage awhile back and ran water through there with the hose and it came out relatively easily.

With regard to the two drains, I am relatively certain that my boat only has the one at the wing doors. Instead, I have a "limber" hole running fore/aft under the base of the wing door that allows the water to come through at that point and go into the drain forward of the wing door. Water running aft goes into the drain at the transom corner. So I wonder if I have that "y" junction at all. More poking around to come...

Right now I'm hunkered down due to the cold and work schedule this week.

Cheryl

I just found a leak on my STBD engine room. the boat is a 58YF, the water was coming from the pack gland of engine shaft, but at the BACK !! of the hose that holds it on the fiberglass tube. When I tried to ajust it the whole pack gland rotated. It seems that the 3 clams were broken and water was seeping in. I tell you it was mourder to replace them because they are behind the hoses that go to the fuel managemet valves. ( at least this is the case in the 58 YF). I am planning to teach my 3 years old grand daugther to use an screw driver .
    I hope this helps you.

Just discovered a new source of leak, Thanks to Mr ElNino who s been bringing a ton of rain here in SOFL this winter, typically the dry season

Spray rails bolts!!

Last night and this morning I found a puddle in the master head. Took me a bit of looking but since the new cabinetry isnt finished (pending exhaust hose replacement when I haul out to repower) I was able to look under the new vanity from the forward end, pretty much where the old shower used to be

I found two streams of water coming out of the interior reinforcement for the spray rail. Enough water to cause a puddle on the new head sub floor!

I am guessing that this has been leaking for years but undetected under the old flooring and shower pan

So this your boat is almost as old as mine, you may want to check this. I would have never guessed that would be a possibility !

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    ok my exit point is clear - I had a blockage awhile back and ran water through there with the hose and it came out relatively easily.

With regard to the two drains, I am relatively certain that my boat only has the one at the wing doors. Instead, I have a "limber" hole running fore/aft under the base of the wing door that allows the water to come through at that point and go into the drain forward of the wing door. Water running aft goes into the drain at the transom corner. So I wonder if I have that "y" junction at all. More poking around to come...

Right now I'm hunkered down due to the cold and work schedule this week.

Cheryl
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Just discovered a new source of leak, Thanks to Mr ElNino who s been bringing a ton of rain here in SOFL this winter, typically the dry season

Spray rails bolts!!

Last night and this morning I found a puddle in the master head. Took me a bit of looking but since the new cabinetry isnt finished (pending exhaust hose replacement when I haul out to repower) I was able to look under the new vanity from the forward end, pretty much where the old shower used to be

I found two streams of water coming out of the interior reinforcement for the spray rail. Enough water to cause a puddle on the new head sub floor!

I am guessing that this has been leaking for years but undetected under the old flooring and shower pan

So this your boat is almost as old as mine, you may want to check this. I would have never guessed that would be a possibility !
    I had the same issue on my 1981 48MY. The issue was also evident on the spray rails - - some rotten wood that did not hold paint. I also found that wet plywood was contributing to 'that Hatteras smell'. I no longer have any odor.

Check the exhaust system too. If you find any soft looking plywood in the area, there is an issue.

I think a lot of these boats have outlived their original caulking, especially of items close to the waterline. Like spray rails. And quarter fenders.

Spray rails should be ok I think; exhaust system checked out ok as far as I could tell.

I still think the culprit is narrowed down to the deck drain on the STBD side but now I'm trying to get help over there to pour water down while I look behind the aft head to see exactly where the leak is coming from, before I tear out a section of hose unnecessarily; as none of this is easy.

Getting good help is hard especially in the winter I can't just grab a friend walking down the dock for a few minutes.

Cheryl

I did just that yesterday to test the port drains after I replaced th brittle hoses. If zip tied a hose to a stanchion on deck and let the water flow while I went downstairs
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hey that's a good idea. Our summer water is off for the season but I could do that by picking up the winter water line. Right now I've got the water system off and have been bringing in gallon jugs of water.

Cheryl

My boat has been bone dry all year. It started to rain a lot in Northern California and I found water in both engine rooms. The culprit were the air vents. As you know water sits on the outside edge during a wash down or rainy day. Well it seems the caulking has given way to age and has allowed water to drain into the engine rooms. Re-caulked and it has stopped. Just another find to help with your leaks.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California