Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 1968 50' Hatteras Motor Yacht FOR SALE $79,900

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    All diesels have their max RPM governed.
    Usually when a diesel "governer" is mentioned it is one that is adjustable or removable. This Hino engine..no way, no how..could it be adjusted or anything removed to speed up the vehicle...I checked with numerous experts over the years on that, as I loved the truck except for it's pitiful top speed.

The engine could have been "souped up" I suppose but it was already turbo and intercooled...which, on those little tilt cab trucks bascially means they've managed to take a diesel lawn mower engine and via adding turbo make it run at acceptable city driving speeds.

Run, Forrest, Run
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Usually when a diesel "governer" is mentioned it is one that is adjustable or removable. This Hino engine..no way, no how..could it be adjusted or anything removed to speed up the vehicle...I checked with numerous experts over the years on that, as I loved the truck except for it's pitiful top speed.

The engine could have been "souped up" I suppose but it was already turbo and intercooled...which, on those little tilt cab trucks bascially means they've managed to take a diesel lawn mower engine and via adding turbo make it run at acceptable city driving speeds.
    A guy who's supposed to have knowledge of spindle speeds, tool diameter and feed rates ought to be able to figure out the parallels between that and engine RPM, gear ratio and tire circumference and how that relates to vehicle speed. The "governor" on a gas engined U-Haul is a lot different than the governor on a Diesel. Trust me, they're not removeable.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    A guy who's supposed to have knowledge of spindle speeds, tool diameter and feed rates ought to be able to figure out the parallels between that and engine RPM, gear ratio and tire circumference and how that relates to vehicle speed. The "governor" on a gas engined U-Haul is a lot different than the governor on a Diesel. Trust me, they're not removeable.
    Ok, I'll trust you on that. All I know is I was recently interested in an Izuzu NPR box truck that was limited to 70 mph on purpose (an Aron Rents truck as I recall) and the salesmans mechanic told me, no problem, we can remove that governer. But now that I think about it, he must have been speaking in metaphor as this was a pretty late model and I suspect the speed was actually limited by computer software that could be reprogrammed.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Run, Forrest, Run
    To be a smart ass, first you have to be smart...otherwise what remains ?

To be a smart ass, first you have to be smart...otherwise what remains ?
    You do.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    You do.
    No, I think you win Grand Prize in that department...LOL..

But Im smart enough to own a Hatteras MilliGUMP
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ok, I'll trust you on that. All I know is I was recently interested in an Izuzu NPR box truck that was limited to 70 mph on purpose (an Aron Rents truck as I recall) and the salesmans mechanic told me, no problem, we can remove that governer. But now that I think about it, he must have been speaking in metaphor as this was a pretty late model and I suspect the speed was actually limited by computer software that could be reprogrammed.
    It's possible it had a road speed limiter, especially on a rental truck. But I'd doubt your Hino was restricted by anything more than gear ratios.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

This "For Sale" thread has been torn up. Fortunately most who read it will realize the level of knowledge regarding the A/C systems and V-8 motors from the instigator was nil, and will not be discouraged by the remarks.
    Last edited by Finalee; 12-04-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"