Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Question about drive oil pressure

I have a Hat 43MY 1985 with Detroit 671-ti's One "drive oil pressure" (port) reads usually around 280-290, the starboard around 210. This is at 1200rpm. What is normal and why would one be 70 psi different? Thanks all
    john

Re: Question about drive oil pressure

Quote Originally Posted by orthomartin View Post
    I have a Hat 43MY 1985 with Detroit 671-ti's One "drive oil pressure" (port) reads usually around 280-290, the starboard around 210. This is at 1200rpm. What is normal and why would one be 70 psi different? Thanks all
    john
    Maybe they are both close to the same and the gauge and/or sender is off. If you think you have a problem, then put mechanical gauges on them to see what you really have. If it all runs well, then don't worry about it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

If you have Capitol HE10200 transmissions we have the same. The pressure on those is supposed to be about 210 as I recall. A mechanical gauge installed in between the selector valve and cooler will tell you if it is correct. The oil coolers can drop the pressure significantly so make sure you measure at the input to the selector valve..
    Regards
    Dan

What sender is needed?

The gauges on my 88 38c always max out to 350... Where do I start to check

Check the electrical connections first. Bad grounds cause some electric gauges to go to minimum and others to go to maximum when power is applied. I used to know which gauges did which (fuel, oil, temp, etc) but I don't remember now. If nothing changes after the grounds are confirmed to be good, check with a manual gauge.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

By the way, our transmissions were plumbed incorrectly. The feedback line to the regulator should be teed out of the line to the selector valve, AFTER the oil cooler. Again, that is because the coolers can drop the pressure significantly.
    Regards
    Dan