has anybody noticed the insane prices of new boats ? the last 2 issues of Power Motoryachts has an interesting selection of new boats and i simply couldn't believe the prices. now, I'm sure most folks buy new boats at boat show prices and probably don't pay the full list prices reported by magazines but how is...

- 469k for a meridian 391? add taxes and stuff and it's right at the 1/2 Million mark!
- 587k for a formula 40 ?
- 704k for an ocean 42 ? it even comes with broken engine room bulkhead tabbing!! no seriously... they even had a picture of it!
-600k for a Carver 42
-400k for a searay 38 express with GAS engines?
-662k for a carver 43
-442k for a Cruiser 38 with GAS engines?

the interesting thing is that the european imports are now competitve, even with a high euro... fairline 40 targa at 449k or beneteau 41 at 465k

who is paying these prices? depreciation alone on these boats will approach 100k the first year or roughly $1000 an hour considering the 100/year usage most boaters do.

imagine what kind of old Hatteras you can buy for these prices! they never looked to good!

i know oil prices have an impact on resin but it looks like prices have gone up 60% to 70% in the past 6 or 7 years....

of course, insanity seems contagious these days... i know we have a few car nuts on the forum... did you guys see Barett Jackson on Speedvision last night? how about a 1965 VW bus pick up fetching 35k or a plymoth belvedere hemi RECREATION reaching 6 digits??