Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

54 Hatteras 2002 to 2006

Does anyone have good information on the 54 Hatteras with c 18 /c30 / c32a engines and which ones would be the preferred engine package for the 2002 to 2006 54 sport fish?

thanks chris

Re: 54 Hatteras 2002 to 2006

The larger motors would be prefered. I've run a few, but only one with C-18's. It was a New Dealer Boat with Pipe Welders Tower and limited gear on board. The boat Cruised 27Knots and like 31 Knots at WOT from what I remember. I ran 2 with 3412's 1400HP 31 Knot Cruise, 34 Knots WOT. The C-30 Boats I believe are 1550 HP, I ran 1 of those a few years ago, I believe it was 33 Knots Cruis +/- and like 37 to 38 WOT, Not sure exactly because I didn't push it there for very long. The C-32 Boats I've "heard" run Very similar, but mabe 1 to 2 knots more if everything is perfect. Now the New GT54's with same power supposedly Top Out over 40+Knots but I don't speak from personal expierience.

I would think reliablillty should be about the same across the board. I would personally NOT buy a C-18 boat because it doesn't burn much less fuel if any less at all at 27 knots then a C-30/32 boat and it can't come even close to top speed of the others. Very seldom would I cruise over 27Knots but a C-30/32 is working at a much lower load % then a C-18 Boat at 27 Knots which could prolong engine life of the bigger motors. Also when you go to resale the boat most buyers would prefer larger motors and more speed when and if you ever need it. Like the old saying about a knfe at a gun fight, or I'd rather have it and not need then need itone day and not have it. I believe in bigger motors run Easy then smaller motors run at the Max. Either way I think it's more preference then anything else. All I can say is to buy a C-18 54 it better be a screaming deal because that's what it'll take to sell it.

Tony

I'd agree with Tony here. The C18s are great engines but a bit too small for the 54C. As a comparrison most Viking 54s have 1550HP MANS and the earlier Hatt 54C and 55C came with 3412 Cats.
    Jack Sardina

Hey guys
    thanks for the response i think tony hit the nail on the head with is comments. i just have to go over the different options each boat has and make an offer or two.
    thanks chris

Jack, how much cheaper would a C18 boat have to be than one of the V12 boats in order to make the deal worth doing? I am curious.

Also, how much difference is there between the 50 conv and 54 conv in that same era? I remember they had trouble selling the 50 conv at the end, it seems. I have not been out on them, only toured them at boat shows. Are C18s enough for the 50C?

I have run a couple of 50 convertibles in that timeframe recently. 3412 boat didn't run right, and made about 33 or 34 kn. Burned a lot of fuel. Something is wrong with one of the engines. The MTU boat topped out at 34 kn, it felt like a great engine package as far as horsepower rating with 1150. I have not run C 18 boat, but the one listed in Texas is the only one listed right now and she's reported to top out at 29 kn. This seems low to me, but the boat is repowered and maybe the running gear and or Gear was not updated. I think it probably had 1271s before the C-18's.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)