Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

Went down to Brigadoon this afternoon and while I was in the port engine room, I heard the bilge pump activate. That was odd because there was no water in the bilge and yet the pump was running although it didn't sound like it was running at full speed. I lifted the float and the pump ran at normal speed. I let it fall and it slowed down to maybe 1/4 speed and then, over a minute or so, gradually slowed and stopped. A few minutes later, it came on again at 1/4 speed, ran for about 20 seconds, and stopped.

Obviously the float switch - a new Rule Super Switch that I had installed with the new bilge pump about 2 months ago - was leaking current for some reason. I ripped the switch out and put in regular Rule switch which corrected the problem (for now).

This is the 3rd new Rule float switch that I have had fail over the past 2 years in two different boats within a few months of installation. Seems odd to me - float switches are pretty basic technology and I'm wondering what the heck's going on. I mean, how can you screw up making a float switch? I used to think of Rule as pretty good stuff but I am now beginning to wonder. This is not one of those items that you can afford for it not to work properly...

Anybody like some other brand of switches better?

Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

I concur on the Rule float switches, seems like I buy at least one a year. I tried the Water Witch sensor switch and that died after four months. I would also like to hear other opinions on switches that work. Oh yes I bought the Rule pump with the built in sensor, ripped that out in two months as it ran almost constantly or not at all.

So far so good. The only float switchs that I have any trouble with are the rule floats in the motor wells and it gets caked with oil and junk that the previous owner left in the bildge from my Detroit road oilers.I have never had your trouble. Bill

I had to replace my Rule float switch in my aft shower sump twice last year. It has been okay since. But, I had to replace a Rule bilge pump on my 18 Whaler.
    I think it may have frozen and cracked over the winter. Anyway, when I put the new 1000gph pump in (the square one, same as original), the next week , it had cracked. Cheap plastic
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-05-2005 at 09:25 PM.

When it really counts, the only float switch to use is one of the Ultimate switch models. They are available in 12 and 24 volt, with or without a built in high water alarm circuit. They also include an LED light to confirm that the switch is powered up. We install them all the time. We have only replaced one because of failure. West Marine used to carry them. They have dropped the line. You will probably have to order one from a yard or shop. They are not cheap ($95.00 +/-), but their reliability makes them the better value. I have had them in both of my personnal boats for over 5 years- no trouble. It is kinda like buying a $300.00 motercycle helment instead of a $50.00 one.

Ditto on the Ultimate switch, I have one on my fwd bilge pump. It's not cheap but I sure do sleep better.

I believe Depco Pump carries the Ultimate Switch Family (senior, junior, and mini)

Haven't used one yet but have been tempted...

Float switches - Big Caution on West Marine Brand

Having 32V bilge pumps make some of the switches non-options.

I just replaced all 5 bilge pumps, the hoses, wiring and switches. I put in the switches that west marine sells. They are a re-brand of another product as far as I can tell. They use what sounds like a ball bearing to activate a micro switch in the float. Tip it up, hear the ball roll, and the switch comes on Seemed like a good idea. I asked the sales person and he said they had no problems with them.

This is a link to the switches:
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0001/213/75/11

Well - the switches are seriously flawed. Of the 5 I bought, 3 of them *do not come on* unless you give them a little shake every few weeks. It seems that for some reason the balls get a bit stuck inside the float. Give them a shake and the work fine for a number of weeks. But let them sit (as most float switches will) and they fail. I discovered this when emptying my water tank to do some repairs. I could not figureout why the pump was not coming on yet the float was straight up and down, under 8 inches of water :-(. Tested the rest and 3 out of 5 did not activate the pump. I suspect they are all bad.

This is obviously a major hazard and they are coming out shortly. Now I have to decide what to put in. I winder if west knows this. I see a huge lawsuit coming on next time someones boat sinks due to a faulty switch.

So - do *not* buy the west float switches with ball bearings.

Best regards - Murray
    --
    Murray G.
    Vancouver, Canada
    1971 58 YF

Ultimate switches are available in 32v if you're interested. Mike

The West Marine switch looks like a Mayfair. I used them years ago and they were flawed then. I don't think the design has changed in 20 years. I have had mixed results with Rule pumps and switches. I have 6 pumps in my boat (4 Rule/2 Atwood). I haven't had a pump or switch failure in 3 years so I guess I'm overdue. I will say that the Rule switches seem to either fail within the first few months, or they last a few years.

Jack Sardina