Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

our old Hatts never looked so good!!

has anybody noticed the insane prices of new boats ? the last 2 issues of Power Motoryachts has an interesting selection of new boats and i simply couldn't believe the prices. now, I'm sure most folks buy new boats at boat show prices and probably don't pay the full list prices reported by magazines but how is...

- 469k for a meridian 391? add taxes and stuff and it's right at the 1/2 Million mark!
    - 587k for a formula 40 ?
    - 704k for an ocean 42 ? it even comes with broken engine room bulkhead tabbing!! no seriously... they even had a picture of it!
    -600k for a Carver 42
    -400k for a searay 38 express with GAS engines?
    -662k for a carver 43
    -442k for a Cruiser 38 with GAS engines?

the interesting thing is that the european imports are now competitve, even with a high euro... fairline 40 targa at 449k or beneteau 41 at 465k

who is paying these prices? depreciation alone on these boats will approach 100k the first year or roughly $1000 an hour considering the 100/year usage most boaters do.

imagine what kind of old Hatteras you can buy for these prices! they never looked to good!

i know oil prices have an impact on resin but it looks like prices have gone up 60% to 70% in the past 6 or 7 years....

of course, insanity seems contagious these days... i know we have a few car nuts on the forum... did you guys see Barett Jackson on Speedvision last night? how about a 1965 VW bus pick up fetching 35k or a plymoth belvedere hemi RECREATION reaching 6 digits??
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: our old Hatts never looked so good!!

So true! What about that Hemi Cuda that brought $305,000! That is BEFORE the Barret-Jackson fee, mind you. Simply amazing......

3. Re: our old Hatts never looked so good!!

I know....

I look at all these boats at the shows and just shake my head. Yeah, Gigabite is old enough to drink, and she's not a perfect boat.

But having had to crawl around more than one NEW boat that was delivered with a problem, I can tell you that a bilge is a bilge, and having to get into one on a new boat makes you A LOT more angry (when you just wrote the big check) than it does on a 20 year old one!

Plus I know where everything is on Gigabite, and where all the "potential trouble areas" are. At least I think I do...

all of this just sends the value of the used boat market up higher.

I just hope I net one before it's too late.

I believe that's so very true. I ran BUC value on a 1977 58MY in August. Ran the exact same year and model again in December. Value had gone UP.

Ang

6. Re: our old Hatts never looked so good!!

Yeah.

I just ran a BUC on my boat and was pleasantly surprised.....

I sure haven't taken the depreciation hit - having owned her for about 5 years - that I would have with a new boat - no matter who made it!

It's not just the big boats either. At the Chicago show, 26' Everglades, $116,00o with twin Merc Verados. You don't see many Hatteri in southern Lake Micjhigan. Mostly Sea Rays, Carvers and Ocean Yachts and for the guys who used to work at the mills and purchase the 20'-26' boats, now buy the PWC at $10,000 +/-. Unless you have mega bucks or are already in a Hatteras (bought mine 23 years ago), it would be all but impossible to get into one (new) for much under 1 Mil. Add the cost of insurance, dockage, storage, maintenance and operation (typically 100 hours +/- each season), make it your home or forget it. Doubt Hatteras will ever again make a model under 50'-the financial return is just not there. Just glad I bit the buillet a long time ago and bought mine new! Not the biggest (32 FBSF) nor fastest, but one hell of a boat in the rough stuff! I count my blessings every day.

In 1968 I looked at a used 66 4 speed Hemi Belvedere. The dealer wanted $2600. I didn't consider it because the rear tires were nearly bald (DUH!).

In 1974 I looked at a used 1971 4 speed Hemi Barracuda. The lowest the guy would take for the car was $3400. I told him he was insane with gas at 80 cents a gallon and walked away.

GEEZ! Who knew?

A guy at the marina has purchased a new Sea Ray, every year for the last 6 years. from 35ft to 55ft. diesel. God bless him.

BILL

My wife and I attended the Annapolis boat show this year as we do almost every year. It's always a good time. After walking the docks, looking at various boats for most of the day we headed over to the Annapolis Yacht Club to have a drink on the deck and enjoy the view. I was peering out at the Yacht Club Fleet when I noticed a familiar looking design. I got up to get a closer look, it was a fine looking 45, NimRod, one of the forum members boat. I walked down for a closer look, great boat. When I got back I said to my wife " I finally found one I really like, and it's not new."

I'm waiting for a nice day to have a look at that 46 that's for sale on Lake Ontario, although I would prefer a 45, I'll still look, for now.

Tony D