Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Atlernator on 1985 6-71-TIC

Trying to identify the alternator on this engine to do some trouble shooting. As with most of the other data plates on my motors, i cant read them. My starboard motor alternator doesnt charge battery. Before i pull it off was hoping to do some trouble shooting. Also, seeing if anyone else has experience pulling it off, is it straight forward?

Thanks

Re: Atlernator on 1985 6-71-TIC

If your engines are J&T you can call them with the serial numbers and they will tell you what alternators they left the factory with. Good Luck

Re: Atlernator on 1985 6-71-TIC

If this is a super charger shaft driven version (Leece Neville??) I went this route and found that the external exciter was bad. It is a square blob of a block with a few terminals on it.
    The alternator hangs off the aft end of the engine in line with the supercharger shaft. I was never able to remove it and fortunately the regulator was the bad part of it. Unscrew the old one and bolt in a new one.

According to some, I glommed the last one in stock anywhere and had it shipped to the Bahamas. The regulators are still available I believe.

Shoot a photo of it and post.
    Regards
    Dan