Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone owned a steel boat in the past?

I had a Striker, a 44'.

I'd rather have a Hatteras, having been there and done that. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I had a Striker, a 44'.

I maintain a very strong mancrush on my 53c. Although she no longer fits my lifestyle, I know she's the best in the water. It's always a great feeling to step aboard.

If choosing glass, I'd always lean to Hatt, especially the older girls. If choosing metal, Burger. Hands down. No matter the material, you've got to maintain them.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I had a Striker, a 44'.

Every once in awhile I look at Strikers on yachtworld but I come back to reality when a previous Striker owner like yourself brings up all that metal maintenance. I'm happy with my Hat.

It's an interesting question. I'll be going into a full displacement expedition trawler in the 70' - 85' range. Am looking at a particular Aluminum boat built to class as well as other steel steel vessels and a few glass boats. With the concept of some serious open water time, I'm leaning towards the metal boats with a slight nod towards steel.
    My understanding of benefits are:
    Impact resistance
    Ease and availability of repair
    Fire resistance

In the due diligence stage, would appreciate considered opinions

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    It's an interesting question. I'll be going into a full displacement expedition trawler in the 70' - 85' range. Am looking at a particular Aluminum boat built to class as well as other steel steel vessels and a few glass boats. With the concept of some serious open water time, I'm leaning towards the metal boats with a slight nod towards steel.
    My understanding of benefits are:
    Impact resistance
    Ease and availability of repair
    Fire resistance
    I agree, when looking at metal boats a knowledgeable yard manger told me any competent welder could easily cut out a bad area and weld in a new metal section for steel or aluminum. Later, I actually saw that happening on a steel hull near Pipewelders in Ft. Lauderdale. He also told me that paint maintenance was not too labor intensive unless you required a high gloss yacht finish. Way back when, I did some paint touch up for blisters on an aluminum Chris Craft Roamer hull when in the yard. It had low gloss paint and was not a problem touching up using an etching, primer, and paint. It might be worthwhile talking to some pro's that do marine metal work and finishing to determine maintenance cost vs your aesthetic requirements. Looked at a 44 Striker that was rolled and tipped which looked really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I agree, when looking at metal boats a knowledgeable yard manger told me any competent welder could easily cut out a bad area and weld in a new metal section for steel or aluminum. Later, I actually saw that happening on a steel hull near Pipewelders in Ft. Lauderdale. He also told me that paint maintenance was not too labor intensive unless you required a high gloss yacht finish. Way back when, I did some paint touch up for blisters on an aluminum Chris Craft Roamer hull when in the yard. It had low gloss paint and was not a problem touching up using an etching, primer, and paint. It might be worthwhile talking to some pro's that do marine metal work and finishing to determine maintenance cost vs your aesthetic requirements. Looked at a 44 Striker that was rolled and tipped which looked really good.
    The class of Burger I was investigating/choosing from, most of them had seen their engines overhauled through holes cut into the hull, welded back. That type of work is commonplace.

One of the greatest oversights in metal boat ownership is moisture inside of the boat. The boat interior should be kept clean and dry, and a good barrier coat should be used anywhere that moisture can develop.

There are some terrific boats out there on the market in this class. I passed on one terrific buy in pursuit of what I felt was a better layout for my needs.

And, yes, I've always had an attraction for the Strikers. That 60-70 class has what seems like an 80 foot beam...

Hey DouglasL

I've got some nice waterfront property to show you, but we can only go see it at low tide!

Any metal boat will be 4 times the maintenance cost of fiberglass...at a minimum. A 60 year old STEEL BURGER? That's insane!

meh, I disagree with the concept of 4 times. Boats cost money. Yes, it's easier to neglect a fiberglass boat, but that's neglecting, not maintaining.

If a steel hull is 50 years old but has maintained the original thickness, she's every bit as solid as a fiberglass hull. I wouldn't be dissuaded a bit.

Also worth mentioning is the survey, which will need to include audiogauging the hull plating. Just about everything costs more on metal boats, the engine bills become the high point of your day. And it is amazing how fast a neglected metal boat will go down. It's sad to see.