Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Anyone owned a steel boat in the past?

I came across a 50+ year old Burger Motor Yacht. Its hull is steel.

How's maintenance on these boats?

Douglas

Re: Anyone owned a steel boat in the past?

Its about like owning a wooden boat.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by douglasl View Post
    I came across a 50+ year old Burger Motor Yacht. Its hull is steel.

How's maintenance on these boats?

Douglas
    Owned an early 60's Burger, steel. Terrific boat. Rock solid if the electrical systems have been well maintained. Virtually your entire AC current system is running without a ground, from the factory.

Pay close attention to cleats, battery terminals, thru-hulls, etc. Make sure you look closely at thickness of plating and condition of running gear during survey. Look closely at the hub of the props, looking for pink.

Terrific boats.

Also, don't paint it with any system that is opposed to patching. The steels love to pop a blister randomly on the hull and along topside welds.

Why ask for trouble.... Fiberglass Hatteras' are hard to beat. Paint the bottoms and polish the rest...can't beat it.

Walt

I know. I just can't find a suitable 53' Hatteras MY in the West Coast.

I'm just looking at the Burger. Not serious for now.

Thanks guys,

Douglas

I had a metal boat- an aluminum one, years back. LOTS of maintenance and worry. Burgers are built as well as anything out there, but even the best metal boat is much more maintenance than a fiberglass one. In fresh water, maybe a little better. Burger have as much experience at building metal boats as anyone does, except the Navy, but a lot of the risk with a metal boat is what happens after it leaves the factory- which the factory has no control over.

They DO blister easily, so Imron or Awlcraft or similar paints would be the ones of choice, not AwlGrip. There are people who say they can blend AwlGrip, but the factory does not agree.

I have always liked the strength and safety of metal boats such as those big Strikers. Too bad the corrosion and paint problems cannot be easily solved, or I would own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I have always liked the strength and safety of metal boats such as those big Strikers. Too bad the corrosion and paint problems cannot be easily solved, or I would own one.
    Agreed, although I just purchased a Burger, aluminum. The culprit of concern is not aboard the boat itself. A well maintained Burger is a solid, quality yacht. Beware of the surroundings. Stray current from marinas and their inhabitants can cause a lot of damage.

Sacrificial plates are your friend, but the galvanic action is going to be a regular concern.

Deadliest catch boats are all old. Even the Northwestern is a 74. I think the Wizzard is a 1940's navy boat. You gotta wonder how long these hulls will last
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present