Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

insurance coverage area's

Well received a quote from Boat US for just under $2500/year this is for the Pamlico/Albemarle sound only. This is where she will be docked. But it says excluding all coastal waters. So I figured it would be nice to be able to take her out in the ocean here and there. So I can get extended coverage for 5% or $25 up to 90 days which isn't bad, but when I asked about getting coverage for just traveling to the ocean the premium jumped up to $6609/year excluding Florida. That's over 8% of the purchase price per year. And a 270% jump in premium price. This isn't wanting to cruise to Bermuda. Just a leisurely cruise down the coast a bit. Maybe this is normal in most policies. I'm located above the hurricane line, but that increase is prices I hear from people living in Florida.

Re: insurance coverage area's

BoatUS doesn't want to write for boats in Florida. They were even outrageous on a quote for my Angler CC. Shop elsewhere.

Bobk

I don't know if you looked into it in this way but although our boat is insured for operation in the Ches Bay and surrounding area, which dropped the premium considerably from our previous policy which covered off shore/East Coast, the company will put a short term policy in place if we, for example wanted to take the boat back up to Long Island.

IOW, if you want to go offshore (or wherever) for a couple of weeks, they may be able to just increase the premium for that period involved, not the entire year.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Had to call them back just to make sure. Seems I can buy six 2 week extended coverage. For just over $120 each. Not bad since I'd rarely do an ocean cruise anyways. I'll need to use them to get the boat home. Talked to a really nice guy that explained it very well. They created the extended coverage for just what I need. This normal policy still allows me to travel to New Bern / Beaufort with no issues. There is a DIY yard in New Bern so it's looking good. We are waiting for the broker to call us back so I can put my deposit with a personal inspection and survey prior to commitment. Hopefully I'll be back with lots of questions! I've learned a lot from this forum and appreciate the knowledge!

I found Boat US to be unreasonable for my purposes as well. I got introduced to a great broker named Dawn Speros at Gowrie Group. A real problem solver and straight shooter. Also was a big help when we had some small claims. Been a happy customer for 8 years now.

800-262-8911 x1653
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Check on the Boat US "restricted dates policy" - I think that's the name. They allow you to go south for the winter months with a small upcharge, like most other companies, albeit not the best dates, but it's their only alternative to the straight FL rates - which indeed are outrageous. Not to mention the 15% deductible for name stormed damage - insane. (Be sure to read the attached docs on the policy when you pull it up online. They don't really point it out otherwise.)

But the kink with the restricted date policy as I understand it is that you cannot be insured below the VA/NC line during the summer season. Result - NC is a challenge for coverage in Summer. (I live in NC most of the time so in/out in season.) So all can see doing is to go full Ches/NC sound like you have quoted , then opt into the date restricted 11/1 if you want to go south.

Doesn't address the offshore issue, but I've used that 2 week deal a few times in the past and it works well for being outside your insured areas. I really like BoatUS, have been there a long time. But it is becoming more difficult (and confusing) every year to stay with them.
    Last edited by tellico; 08-12-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastinated View Post
    Well received a quote from Boat US for just under $2500/year this is for the Pamlico/Albemarle sound only. This is where she will be docked. But it says excluding all coastal waters. So I figured it would be nice to be able to take her out in the ocean here and there. So I can get extended coverage for 5% or $25 up to 90 days which isn't bad, but when I asked about getting coverage for just traveling to the ocean the premium jumped up to $6609/year excluding Florida. That's over 8% of the purchase price per year. And a 270% jump in premium price. This isn't wanting to cruise to Bermuda. Just a leisurely cruise down the coast a bit. Maybe this is normal in most policies. I'm located above the hurricane line, but that increase is prices I hear from people living in Florida.
    Keep shopping, that's an insanely bad rate. That would be high for coastal/offshore coverage in that area.
    Jack Sardina

Even though I'm in the Great Lakes, my policy covers all US and Canadian waters with an exclusion period for hurricane season. Its through United Marine Underwriters and I think alot of the mega yacht guys use them. Their prices seem fair. I have not been able to use Boat US for years. They are always too high.

It might be worth a call: (800) 477-7140
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I believe Dawn has moved on - at least all the communication that we receive from Gowrie is no longer through her. However, I agree that Gowrie is superb and we have been with them since 2002.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I believe Dawn has moved on - at least all the communication that we receive from Gowrie is no longer through her. However, I agree that Gowrie is superb and we have been with them since 2002.
    She was still there as of June and her Linked In profile hasn't changed. She works out of the Newport office now. 401.848.0200. Sarah Davidson handles her admin stuff out of the Connecticut HQ.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014