Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

insurance survey

Looking at a purchase. Will be buying cash. As far as an insurance survey are they usually done in water or does it need to be hauled? And as insurance surveys go what are the particulars they look at? Thanks

Re: insurance survey

On a purchase they will typically want a full, nit-picky survey done, and so should you. In and out of the water, and a sea trial. Highly advise a separate engine survey.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Things are moving along. Talked to a surveyor and he mentioned the fire suppression system. The tank may need to be replaced. And maybe a whole system replaced. This was just informal talk. He hasn't seen the boat. Is this a normal deal with a 70's model hatteras. If so what would be the cost? Or are these systems reliable? Any maintenance I prefer doing myself, but insurance company was kind of vague with what would be a have to fix. And how does that work? I have to pay to fix items before I am even able to insure the boat. So I'd fix items before I purchase? I've worked on Detroits and being simple engines not an issue. The boat is at a marina so it currently has insurance.

Well just heard back from markel and cannot provide insurance without 2 years of experience. How does one do that until they buy a boat? I own 2 boats currently with the largest being 30 ft. Still waiting on Boat US. Any insurance brokers anyone can recommend or advice? I might be willing to just have a liability policy as it will not have any leins.
    Last edited by Fastinated; 08-11-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastinated View Post
    Well just heard back from markel and cannot provide insurance without 2 years of experience. How does one do that until they buy a boat? I own 2 boats currently with the largest being 30 ft. Still waiting on Boat US. Any insurance brokers anyone can recommend or advice? I might be willing to just have a liability policy as it will not have any leins.
    Wait for Boat U.S. to get back to you. While you are waiting take their boater safety course on line. It is free and you print out a certificate at the end. With my recent purchase of my 40 DCMY I needed to have my fire extinguishers brought up to date. I bought 5 new ones, had 2 of the older ones serviced, a 10 pounder serviced and leaving the halon system alone in the bilge. The guy from the company that did the extinguishers stated it takes about 5 times the volume of halon to equal what a halon system will do. He personally uses halon at his home in case of an emergency.

Did the Boat US course a few years ago. Hopefully it'll work out. So are you saying the halon doesn't need to be operational if there are extinguishers? Hope my dreams aren't floating away. I'm paying cash and it took a lot of time and sacrifices and Genesis would be proud!

I am in insurance agent and can probably get it done. Where are you located

Boat US sent a quote. They tried to call as did the broker, but my stupid iphone only rings half the time. Either that or I'm half deaf. Probably the latter so says my wife. I call it selective hearing. Anyway I'm calling them back tomorrow. Thanks too captcrunch I may be giving you a buzz if it doesn't work. I am pleased the broker called me back after our talk today. Even though I missed it, I haven't had a warm fuzzy with any of the brokers I have dealt with. Nice for a change!
    Last edited by Fastinated; 08-11-2015 at 09:08 PM.

FWIW, when we were looking for a 53 in 2004, initially we could not get insurance. Several ins companies said that since we had no experience with boats larger than 36' (our Mainship 36 DC), they would only insure a boat 10 feet larger unless we could document experience on a 53. I don't know if that's common or not with ins companies. But basically our ins company was saying they would only insure us for a boat of up to 46ft UNLESS I could provide proof showing that I had operated a larger boat.

In our case, I was able to provide documentation that I had piloted a 58 LRC with a statement from the owner of that boat (58 LRC - "EQ II"). That was sufficient for the ins company and they then agreed to provide insurance for the 53 we planned to buy.

I have never figured this insurance thing out because I ran into a guy in Stamford, CT who had, one month earlier, bought a 65 footer (not Hatt) as his first ever boat. He and his wife were operating it on their own and learning as they went along. He managed to get insurance with no problems… go figure
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by Fastinated View Post
    Did the Boat US course a few years ago. Hopefully it'll work out. So are you saying the halon doesn't need to be operational if there are extinguishers? Hope my dreams aren't floating away. I'm paying cash and it took a lot of time and sacrifices and Genesis would be proud!
    I had to supply boat US with a copy of the survey with my intentions of correcting the items on the list. I did not agree with everything the surveyor said and let it be known. I have 58 years of boating experience and this not my first rodeo. As to a halon system needing to be operational....It is great to have a system in the bilge but do not know if it is a requirement. Perhaps others could chime in on this. In my opinion the release of some halon into the atmosphere would be less toxic than burning fiberglass would be. The guy that serviced my extinguishers stated that you can buy a new halon fire extinguisher. Halon is no longer manufactured. They recycle halon that is removed from old systems.