Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Danforth Corsair Compass

My Danforth hi-speed Corsair II compass on my 32' 1985 Hatt has leaked most of the fluid out. I've made phone calls to a few compass repair shops and they can't get parts to repair it and the factory won't have anything to do with it. This is a big flush mounted flat card compass with the dome about 3.5 inches in diameter with a hole in my helm of 4.5 inches in diameter that it fits into.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a direct replacement that's in good condition or can recommend a reasonably priced replacement. I was told that this was a $600 compass, but I'm not interested in spending that much money on one.

Any thoughts would help. Karl

Re: Danforth Corsair Compass

I decided to call the Danforth Compass factory again (ITT now) and harrass them for not helping me. The customer service suggested I talk to their technical repair shop person, which I did. He had the answer and that was to send them my old compass to them and since parts are not available to repair it, they will sell me a replacement model (Constellation) that fits right into the 4.5 inch hole in my helm and will charge me only the distributors price, which is a significant difference ($170 vs $275 list).

I'm happy with that solution and will send it out ASAP. I realize that I placed this under the wrong category (Boats vs Parts). Karl

And now we all know how much we are getting screwed by WM and the others.

Go to the lewis marine catalog page 217

Is it Fig 6974 and Model # C339F-3?

If so we should talk. $150 plus freight 407-739-5450
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Here's the solution. I used this guy to refurbish my original compass on my '72, 36C. He does excellent work and at a very fair price.

http://www.islandcompass.com/

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    And now we all know how much we are getting screwed by WM and the others.

Go to the lewis marine catalog page 217

Is it Fig 6974 and Model # C339F-3?

If so we should talk. $150 plus freight 407-739-5450
    I am looking to replace the same compass as above on my 1985 40 DCMY. Do you sell these units or is it one that you had to sell?
    Thanks,
    Bob Wazeter

Quote Originally Posted by BobWaz View Post
    I am looking to replace the same compass as above on my 1985 40 DCMY. Do you sell these units or is it one that you had to sell?
    Thanks,
    Bob Wazeter
    I'll look it up this weekend. It's probably still a current number
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thank you!

I have repaired my Danforth Corsair Compass. There was a rip in the rubber membrane about a quarter inch long. After cleaning it with alcohol I used 3 coats of liquid electrical tape. I filled it with baby oil and burped out the air 3 times. It has been perfect since repair. I have also used the liquid electrical tape to repair damaged cones on speakers. Works like a charm.