Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Play in the rudders

I have some play in both the rudders on my 52c. last winter i changed the ball joints and changed the bronze bushings at the steering knuckles which helped, but the there is still quite a big of play in the rudders while underway. How tight are the cutlass bearings supposed to be around the shaft of the rudders? most other boats i have seen, the rudders do not move at all when you try and shake them side to side. Has anyone had any vibration issues while at cruise from slop in the rudders?

Re: Play in the rudders

The cutlass bearings on mine were worn to the point where it was impossible to keep the rudder shaft from leaking. The solution was to replace the bearings and the issue went away. There should be no play in the rudders if you try move them athwart ships. The vibrations might be related to the tow-in.

Bobk

Re: Play in the rudders

I just solved a vibration problem after checking the tiller arms and ball joint linkage. The port tiller arm was loose to the point I could move it by hand and the starboard was slightly loose. Tightened all and the vibration is gone. There is no play in the rudders while checking in the lazarette. I could hear a clacking and popping noise coming from the area while steering at slow speed and thought it was the ball joints, which I had to replace on my previous boat.