Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do EPIRB's really work?

We were fishing off the coast of Charleston and saw a helecopter hoovering in the distance. At the end of the fishing trip (50 miles out) we arrived back the marina to find the coast guard had been looking for us all day. We had some music cranked up and couldnt hear the VHF radio (bad thing). We were having lots of fish activity bottom fishing so things were hectic. One of us must have kicked or hit the epirb (mounted on the center console) some how and setting it off for only a little while then it stopped transmitting so they lost contact. The coast guard wasnt too happy with my friend and wanted to fine him for their efforts but he said he was sorry many times and didnt have to pay. I've heard that low batteries can set them off too. Seems like if every boat was required to have an epirb the coast Guard would be chasing bogus signals all the time. I dont know the answer to ultimate safety on the water. Buddy boats are really a good thing even to share fishing information. I for one wouldnt want to be required to have one on our boat. OK friends, fire away !!!! What your thoughts. Not about us though we know we messed up.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Re: Do EPIRB's really work?

I think the EPIRB should be equipped with both a visible and audible alarm so that when it gets set off anyone near it would know. If it was screaming at you, you would have known that you set it off and would have been able to contact the Coasties to tell them of your mistake.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

part of the SAR response to a 406 Epirb signal is to confirm via phone contact in the epirb registry that the owner is actually underway somewhere and not just a false signal. There have been cases where no SAR was initiated because the contact info was bad or the phone # was the cell in the drowning owners pocket.
    IMHO someone who goes 50 mi offshore and dosent know how to operate their safety equiptment deserves what they get. No George don't waste my SAR dollars looking for idiots!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    part of the SAR response to a 406 Epirb signal is to confirm via phone contact in the epirb registry that the owner is actually underway somewhere and not just a false signal. There have been cases where no SAR was initiated because the contact info was bad or the phone # was the cell in the drowning owners pocket.
    IMHO someone who goes 50 mi offshore and dosent know how to operate their safety equiptment deserves what they get. No George don't waste my SAR dollars looking for idiots!
    The CG called his home phone and his wife said he was in fact fishing in the ocean. Called the marina office and the boat slip was indeed empty. Cell phone was out of service. We had no idea what had happened. I didnt even know he had an epirb. I like the idea of the epirb making an alarm but we had the music turned way up so we wouldnt have heard it anyway. I think the loud music and not being able to hear the VHF was the dumbest thing. So everyone can learn from our mistakes.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I was caring for a Hatteras 50C at Pier 66 that we had listed and we accidently set one off at the dock. From what I remember, the bracket that held it in place under the bridge came loose and it fell to its side causing it to turn on. The EPIRP had no one registed to it because it was a Trade Boat For Sale. Since there was nobody to call when it went off, they dispatched help. A guy from, I believe he said the "Air Force" showed up on foot carrying a big radio looking device with big rabbit ear antennas coming off of it and asked me if we had one onboard. So we looked around and found it under the bridge. I apologized and explained it was a dealer boat that was just taken in on trade. He was nice about it and said he understood and it wasn't a big deal they just had to varify it wasn't a distressed boat. So yes, I guess they do really work.

An audible alarm would've been a big help and saved that man alot of time and me alot of, "oh crap", I hope we don't get fined, but it was reassuring to know they do work.

It was mentioned above in the thread that you had the stereo going and didn't hear the VHF radio. Your mistake was being 50 miles offshore, seeing a helicopter in the area looking around and not thinking to turn the stereo down for 5 min to see if there was a problem. Just because you were safe and having fun doesn't mean there wasn't possibly another boat in distress that could of used assistence. My first thought when seeing that helicpter way offshore would've been, I hope there's not a problem lets reach out to them and make sure. Other than that I'm glad the fishing was good.

Tony

my 406 has a strobe light that flashes when it is operational and it's mounted where I can see it when operating the boat...........Pat

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    I was caring for a Hatteras 50C at Pier 66 that we had listed and we accidently set one off at the dock. From what I remember, the bracket that held it in place under the bridge came loose and it fell to its side causing it to turn on. The EPIRP had no one registed to it because it was a Trade Boat For Sale. Since there was nobody to call when it went off, they dispatched help. A guy from, I believe he said the "Air Force" showed up on foot carrying a big radio looking device with big rabbit ear antennas coming off of it and asked me if we had one onboard. So we looked around and found it under the bridge. I apologized and explained it was a dealer boat that was just taken in on trade. He was nice about it and said he understood and it wasn't a big deal they just had to varify it wasn't a distressed boat. So yes, I guess they do really work.

An audible alarm would've been a big help and saved that man alot of time and me alot of, "oh crap", I hope we don't get fined, but it was reassuring to know they do work.

It was mentioned above in the thread that you had the stereo going and didn't hear the VHF radio. Your mistake was being 50 miles offshore, seeing a helicopter in the area looking around and not thinking to turn the stereo down for 5 min to see if there was a problem. Just because you were safe and having fun doesn't mean there wasn't possibly another boat in distress that could of used assistence. My first thought when seeing that helicpter way offshore would've been, I hope there's not a problem lets reach out to them and make sure. Other than that I'm glad the fishing was good.

Tony

Prob was a 121.5 epirb first responder would have been CAP civil air patrol with DF gear. Once a 406 is registered its tagged to someone unless it's decomissioned.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Prob was a 121.5 epirb first responder would have been CAP civil air patrol with DF gear. Once a 406 is registered its tagged to someone unless it's decomissioned.
    Maybe, I'm not sure, it was years ago, like 2005. I do think it was a 406 though. Maybe it was still registered to the past owner, I can't remember, but I think he did say they didn't know the owner when he approached the boat. Either way I was happy to see that they do look into these things

Tony

My 2 cents. We left the yard last year with no clear plans on where we were going. A week or so later unknown to us the epirb pings it's registration number but no position information (later confirmed by the manufacturer that a fault had allowed moisture into the unit). A single transmission. When we arrived back in cell phone range we had several missed calls and emails from US coastguard and family etc. Coastguard had been in contact with family and yard to ascertain our intentions and searched Peck lake and offshore of Stuart and asked Bahamas to look out for us on their side. I was horrified to think we had been the cause of so much effort and felt negligent in some way but the coastguard where adamant that they were pleased we were safe and 'that's what we are here for'. So, do they work, well they sometimes cause a load of effort for nothing but I wouldn't be without one for a long range last ditch life or death scenario.
    Here's another view. Same trip and we are fishing well North of Walkers Cay with maybe a dozen other boats in sight. Some guy calls up on the vhf 'fishing boat North of Walkers we are having some problems', gets a reply and makes no sense. Doesn't know where he is and sounds confused. Calls go back and forth a bit and everyone gets fed fed up and calls stop. A few hours later drifting North livebait fishing and as it's getting late we are about to leave, only us and one other boat in sight with Walkers now over the horizon, wife calls down from the bridge 'what does a flare look like', pathetic firework, 'well I was looking at that boat and think he just let one off'. Call 'boat in distress did you just fire a flare', yup that's him! We relay a distress for him as he now can't reach anyone and wait until a tow arrives. He has his wife with baby in arms and another young child aboard and is about to be left for the night to drift god knows where. Now I'm not condoning lack of preparation or ability but I think for the sake of the others on the boat who were clearly in distress an epirb could have been a life saver.

What are the thoughts on EPIRB's VS PLB's. My wife and I will be starting out on doing the southern half of "the loop" in October and I am considering purchasing either 1 EPIRB or 2 PLB's. I know very little about them, but would(will) feel more comfortable to have something on board when we cross from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs. For the money you could have a PLB attached to each of our life jackets or we can buy one EPIRB for the boat.

What are the pros and con's to each?