Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cracked window

Cracked window

I have a cracked window/windshield on the port side of the enclosed bridge. Window was fine last week but was cracked when I got to the boat this weekend. Boat wasn't moved durring that time. I don't see an impact mark, no storms, hail etc and it wasn't very hot here. Only thing is the boat was washed durring the week and they do climb up the front of the bridge to clean the windows. Any thoughts to what may have happened? I don't want to question the boat washer before exploring any other possibilities.
    Jack Sardina

Re: Cracked window

I'll go with drunk seagull, yup that's it!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Good luck with a claim to the boat washer Jack. Based on my personal experience at my club (which is a couple of minutes from yours) I had my previous boat washers there every other week or after a trip, whichever came first. After one of the wash jobs, I was on the bridge ('82 48 MY) and noticed the large (depth sounder screen (3 or 4 inchs) was cracked down the middle. When I brought it up to the owner of the washing service, he denied that his guys did it and he stood by it. It was pretty obvious that one of his workers stood or kneeled on the instrument panel while reaching over the middle venturi windshield panel . Anyway, I no longer use them mainly because they didn't even acknowledge that it was possible that their people did it. BTW I wouldn't have been so ticked off about it if that device was still available. I would have just gone out and bought a new one and chalked it up to the cost of having people work on your boat.

Theirs a good chance too that it just cracked. Cracks happen. Hot window cold water a small nick in the edge.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The windshield glass itself is not expensive. I had the guy that serviced our old fleet cut a piece of PPG Solex Green and polish the edges for 75 bucks.... Installing it, another matter...PITA

I replaced some of the windows years ago and they didn't polish the edges everyone cracked within 6 months.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thanks for the replies. Not too concerned about cost I just like to know why or what happened. Replacing will be a pain as its a forward windshield on an enclosed bridge
    Jack Sardina