Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

58 Queen VIP Conversion

Hi Yall

My buddy Dave is almost finished converting the twin berth VIP in his 58' 1985 Hatteras to a full size queen bed. The conversion was actually quite easy, and utilizing the original night stand and drawers.
    DSCN1418.jpgDSCN1399.jpgDSCN1400.jpg

I'm really surprised Hatteras never offered the option.

Re: 58 Queen VIP Conversion

To clarify, this was one twin size bed that was widened to queen size....not two twin beds as in many early Yacht Fish master staterooms, converted to one queen ?

FWIW, by 1993 Lazzara designed a way to have two twin beds on metal tracks such that in the forward port stateroom of my Viking the two beds can be either separate or one moved over to join with the other. There is an integral wall "nightstand" between the two beds that internally has about as much space as the full width of the stateroom.

As the bed is moved, the headboard end slides over the nightstand cabinet, exposing the other side of the cabinet and another door to it. I have yet to move the bed as previous owner carpeted over one of the tracks such that I'd have to cut a slot in the carpet to actually perform this trick. I only mention it here as I thought it an interesting idea for a versatile bed arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    To clarify, this was one twin size bed that was widened to queen size....not two twin beds as in many early Yacht Fish master staterooms, converted to one queen ?

FWIW, by 1993 Lazzara designed a way to have two twin beds on metal tracks such that in the forward port stateroom of my Viking the two beds can be either separate or one moved over to join with the other. There is an integral wall "nightstand" between the two beds that internally has about as much space as the full width of the stateroom.

As the bed is moved, the headboard end slides over the nightstand cabinet, exposing the other side of the cabinet and another door to it. I have yet to move the bed as previous owner carpeted over one of the tracks such that I'd have to cut a slot in the carpet to actually perform this trick. I only mention it here as I thought it an interesting idea for a versatile bed arrangement.
    Hatteras did that on my 65C. On mine the track is on the cabinetry so the floor is clear regardless of the configuration. I know they were like that in the original 65c starting in '87.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 07-05-2015 at 07:30 PM.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Hatteras did that on my 65C. On mine the track is on the cabinetry so the floor is clear regardless of the configuration. I know they were like that in the original 65c starting in '87.
    But Lazarra came up with that idea in the 90's. It must be better right?

By the way Searay has that also and it's powered. Press a button and ...
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The VIP on the 58 Hatteras, both old and newer, were all 2 twin beds. A queen VIP was never offered as an option in this model. Dave had the platform built to fit a home-size queen mattress as shown.

The sideways installation also works on the narrow beam 53s and 58s too.

hi guys i have a 1981 56' MY will this configuration work on my VIP?
    i have wanted to make it a queen but did not think you could?

1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Hi kjcampos

The 56 and 58 are identical in the VIP stateroom. The beauty of this project is that once you take apart the framework of the original twin bed stateroom, you've got an empty space down to the floor. The nightstand between the original twin berths, fits nicely to the side of the new (house-sized) Queen, without any changes to the cabinetry already there. The original teak face drawers, find new locations under the new Queen bed. You loose a small amount of cabinet space behind where the new headboard is installed.

I have also seen this type of VIP conversion done in a Hatteras 53, but without enough space to create the walk-around. Still, I thought it was a huge improvement over the Ozzie and Harriet.

thank you pizzazzdaddy
    we LOVE our boat but my wife has never liked the "LUCY n RICKY" as she calls it VIP but i was told
    that we could not convert to semi walk around queen....she loved the pictures of conversion and told
    me she wants to know what it will cost to do cause she wants it done.
    we are taking the boat to FERNANDO at CORTEZ COVE MARINA to have our teak decks refinished and
    remove all the rugs and install hardwood flooring thru out the boat so would be another project at the same time so not to have to redo the floors in the VIP

1981 56'MY
    Lake Gloria II

Fernando and Manny do great work, you will be very pleased.

Nice project, Pizzazsdaddy; thanks for sharing.

On my 52C, the twins in the master are being converted just as you said but are rotated 90 deg. (sorry fishermen, but a queen is needed there).

As you noted, the space between is gained to one side, but I have taken a further step by cutting down and swapping the underbed drawers (so they come out from either side) as a pedastal. Then I had the idea of NOT joining them permanently but strapping together instead. With a judicious cutting of the top platform, the entire thing can be restored to a twin configuration if needed.

It's a big project and not completed, but likely I will post photos when I finish up.

DAN