Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cutlass Bearings...How do you know it's time?

I have the last 53 built in 1988. Only 1200 hours. Have just been out for my annual bottom jobs. On relaunching I noticed a singing or howling sound only around 1000 RPM. If I speed up or slow down it's gone. Could this be cutlass bearings? Is it doing any damage and should I ignore it till next haulout? I dove under the boat and all looks normal. Would appreciate some expertise.
    Thanks

Re: Cutlass Bearings...How do you know it's time?

I had a very similar experience after haul out a couple of years ago, and I believe after the haul out before that. After a while the howling went away, till after the next haul out. I doubt you have a problem.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Probably singing prop. Someone may have put a sharp edge on the blades. I had a set that did that at the same RPM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Just replaced mine on an 1984 36C. Believe me they let you know when they go bad. A simple test is when shes out on the hard, try moving the shaft around in the strut. Any movement they should be replaced. If you were out of the water for a while they will dry and once back in the water they lube themselves with water.