Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Supreme Court Decision is Bad for Fishing

Jack, I don't think you have to worry about an increase in the number of weddings. Hetero couples are getting married less and less, so it's probably a wash.

Now, for those concerned about ruffling, watch this:

Here's the easy fix. Change the tax code. Eliminate the marriage deduction and survivor benefits and the gay marriage issue goes away.

When there was a marriage penalty you didn't hear anything about the "civil rights issue of our time." Like everything else, it's about money.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Jack, I don't think you have to worry about an increase in the number of weddings. Hetero couples are getting married less and less, so it's probably a wash.

Now, for those concerned about ruffling, watch this:

Here's the easy fix. Change the tax code. Eliminate the marriage deduction and survivor benefits and the gay marriage issue goes away.

When there was a marriage penalty you didn't hear anything about the "civil rights issue of our time." Like everything else, it's about money.
    That's just not right. Someone has to pay me for all the misery of being married.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    That's just not right. Someone has to pay me for all the misery of being married.
    Hasn't your wife paid enough? Oooh!☺️
    Jack Sardina

Men marring men, what's next, men marring bait, the catch of the day, a poodle?

The strange thing less than 1% of the US is gay, why do so many people insist the gay community is a victim.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    Men marring men, what's next, men marring bait, the catch of the day, a poodle?

The strange thing less than 1% of the US is gay, why do so many people insist the gay community is a victim.
    Now that gay marriage is the thing all of a sudden 90% of the single will claim to be gay to get some kind of subsidy or other advantage. Gay will be the newest fashion rage.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Hi All,

I'm with Jack.

Below is a recent post I saw on Facebook:

I say this with sincere love to my many friends who are passionate fundamentalist Christians who believe that the SCOTUS’s decision yesterday on marriage equality is an afront to God: I need to attempt to set the record straight.

Our country was created by our founding fathers very deliberately to prevent the establishment of a national religion from our governance. The Church - Catholic or Anglican - was central to almost every other country in the world historically, especially England from which our founding fathers separated. It was critical to our founding fathers that one central religion NOT be declared and NOT be incorporated into our Constitution or governance. They understood that an establishment of a national religion would ultimately abridge the very rights they believed were fundamental and were meant to be recognized and protected by the Bill of Rights and ultimately the Constitution.

Religion-based loss of basic rights had been their experience in England and they wanted to prevent that here.

The fact is that this decision yesterday was a LEGAL decision about the scope of our Constitutional rights as humans and US citizens. It was not about religion, religious beliefs or religious freedom. It is about equal rights, just as the decision in this country to give women the vote and the decision to abolish slavery were about equal rights. Any decision regarding the scope of a constitutional right (whether passed by Congress or interpreted by the SCOTUS) is a legal decision, not one based in religion or morality.

Rights are not and should not be up for a popular vote or up to the states to determine. Rights are absolute and cannot be dependent upon anything other than the fact that the person is a human being and is a citizen of the US. If those two conditions are met, YOUR belief system about what is MORALLY or spiritually right or wrong does not matter and should not. You should be glad that is the case, because it would be just as easy for another religion to take over and curtail your rights as a Christian (something that has happened throughout history).

In fact, one religious party believing they know the truth for all humans is how terrible oppression starts - that is how Naziism started, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem Witch Trials, the Klu Klux Klan, Al-Qaeda and now ISIS - the most destructive, hateful, murderous periods of human history have arisen directly out of one religious group (ironically, most of these examples were lead by Christians) believing their religion and religious beliefs were THE truth, and therefore they had the right to take away the rights (and lives) of those who lived or believed differently than them.

Our founding fathers wanted to prevent that outcome. So does our current Supreme Court. THAT is the law of the land and I could not be more grateful to be an American than when human rights are protected. I don’t have to agree with you to believe with all my heart and soul that YOUR rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness should be protected against oppression or prejudice. LGBT US citizens deserve exactly the same treatment. God Bless America.

p.s. Those railing against the decision of marriage equality as a basic constitutional right are confusing the idea of constitutional (i.e human) rights with certain types of behavior (the stuff they call "sin"). But human rights are inherent in all human beings and US citizens - not doled out based on who is behaving "well" and who isn't. All US citizens should have the equal right to pursue life, liberty and happiness, regardless of the "sins" they commit. The only behavior that should curtail your constitutional rights is if you commit a crime (a felony) and are convicted. But even then, criminals can still marry, have kids, own property, work and live in our communities. The only things they can't do is vote and carry firearms. If committing a sin was a barrier to receiving basic constitutional rights in this country, we would all be in big trouble, not just the LGBT community.

Having a very close gay relative and knowing many gay people as a result, I see no difference between us as people. I don't judge or hate. However I see many many professed Christians spew hate and ugliness and there is nothing Christ like about that.

As a moderator, I've stepped over the line. Jim, this thread needs to be reigned in or ended.
    Last edited by lumina; 07-02-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Very well said Gene. I don't agree that this thread should be closed or reigned in. There's nothing wrong or offensives here, just a group expressing opinions on a very significant ruling. Freedom of speach and expression are fundamental rights we value highly. What sets us apart from so many other countries is how we understand we all have the right to formulate our own opinions and having opposing beliefs doesn't mean we can't be civil and respect each other. I was raised with a strong Catholic upbringing and my wife and I are devout Catholics. Rose teaches CCD and belongs to a few prayer groups. Not all teachings, views or rules of the church are absolute. As intelligent free thinking individuals we can make our own decisions on what we believe to be right or wrong. We don't feel anyone should have the right to deny someone the same rights they enjoy based solely on belief. I see no legal argument to why same sex marriage should be illegal. Regardless of your personal or religious beliefs can anyone tell me why it should be illegal? We both feel strongly that you need to live and let live.
    Jack Sardina

Gene,
    The last line of your post makes the most sense; however, you don't need Dr. Jim to take care of your post, you have the power to do that yourself.
    Is identifying Someone by sexual orientation productive? Should your opinion of a person be based upon character or sexuality?
    I think redefining marriage is Orwellian. Good intentions are said to pave roads to well . . .
    As long as allowed, I will chose to go boating with friends, irrespective of their sexual orientation over condoning another ill advised fundamental change
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Thanks for posting your last Gene... Frankly that post probably did more to point out exactly why the Supreme Ct ruled as it did and it makes complete sense to me. I don't particularily like some of their rulings but they are not working at interpreting our "Bible", the US Constitution based on what may or may not be popular opinion at the time. I consider myself a very conservative (politically) person, but we must guard against supressing the rights of others even when we don't agree with them.

Walt

No reason for marriage to be illegal. Just I'll advised.

I don't believe the ruling did anything more than to get another bunch of haters and bites a new way to go after those who feel differently.

I think people should be able to be attached to other people in ways where thy become responsible for them. THIS is my definition of marriage. I also believe it's not my business to judge their personal life and activities unless it effects me. I see the movement looking for ways to make a statement. That may start to effect me. Not just in loosing a weekend of fishing.

I believe the people who choose certain lifestyles need to take responsibility for it. Not to make it my problem if they don't get everything they want. Like a person covered with tattoos and piercings that can't get a job. Live with your choices and don't ask others to clean up your messes.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.