Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Rudder Work Labor Hours

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Bottom job with 1 coat? We use 2 coats and a 3rd on the waterline and with micron 66 it's about $40-45 a foot.

I'd ask to see the hourly for the workers. It's possible they are that slow. Then again if nothing went easy it's possible.
    The only snag they ran into he told me before I got the bill was one rudder hung up and it took them a couple hours to get it out. Other than that he said everything went smooth.

Even the bottom we always have a diver on it.

I've seen how some yard workers meander around while on someones clock. They forget a tool, then stop and talk on the way back then get to work, then need another scew size or acetone so he gets up walks around again, has a smoke and then 3.5 hours later the bilge pump is in. Then they turn in their time card for each boat and the secratery adds it up. Hopefully this is the case they work with me on this.

Tony

When I was a naive, new Hatteras owner, my first couple of yard bills were like that. That is what lead me to sitting there all day, noting on a pad of paper who came and went and at what times. We were always able to negotiate the bill when the work was done because we were clearly being way overcharged on the work hours.

The yard owner then admitted that he takes the time from some book of estimates and uses that as his billing source. That is a little hard to argue when the owner or captain, whoever, has a list of all the time actually spent. My last yard bill was half of what my first bottom job was....and we sandblasted everything off and started over, and repaired about 1,000 blisters.. Still half.

I understand they charge around $100/hours, and I'm willing to pay that, but only for the hours spent working on my boat, not what some number in a book says it should take. If it's more, I'll pay it; if it's less, I won't. I think that's fair.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    When I was a naive, new Hatteras owner, my first couple of yard bills were like that. That is what lead me to sitting there all day, noting on a pad of paper who came and went and at what times. We were always able to negotiate the bill when the work was done because we were clearly being way overcharged on the work hours.

The yard owner then admitted that he takes the time from some book of estimates and uses that as his billing source. That is a little hard to argue when the owner or captain, whoever, has a list of all the time actually spent. My last yard bill was half of what my first bottom job was....and we sandblasted everything off and started over, and repaired about 1,000 blisters.. Still half.

I understand they charge around $100/hours, and I'm willing to pay that, but only for the hours spent working on my boat, not what some number in a book says it should take. If it's more, I'll pay it; if it's less, I won't. I think that's fair.
    I completely understand and that's why I used to keep track like you when I worked on boats. It's not really the yards fault as much as the workers time cards that they turn in. Problem is now I work in PA and like to use my boat when on vacation, Not babysit it in the yard. I've had many owners boats in this yard in the past and always watched and it was fair so I figured it would be if I wasn't there as well. I'm hoping they will work with me on this because they always do good work. I'm just not the typical absentee owner with 10's of Millions lying around looking for a write that just gets the bill and sends it without making sure it's correct.

Like you, if it's justified I'll pay it. I'm just not sure if this is.

Tony

That's list price on the cutlass bearings.

http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/m...tless-bearings
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    That's list price on the cutlass bearings.

http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/m...tless-bearings
    Yep,,, that was another thing I noticed. I want them to make moey but full retail on every part and max total hour limits on each task is a bit much.

I'm going to try to get them to discount the parts a little and I've also requested the Time Cards of the workers who checked in and out on our boat. I'll see how long that takes. If they really went off time cards on our boat to make up the bill they should have that readily available. If they don't have those cards ready to go then I know they made up the rates. I requested that around lunch time. I'm leaning toward they didn't look at the time cards while making up my invoice. I'll see tomarrow I guess.

Tony

Those prices are for non-metallic cutlass bearings, so the brass sleeve bearings may be higher. Some of the hours seem on the high side. When you replace a rudder box you pack it before you bolt it in.Three men can knock out a bottom job in 4 hours, so about 12 man hours. I've seen bent rudders that can take 3-4 hours to get out, but that's fairly rare.

Most shops have a substantial markup on parts to cover overhead, 100% mark up is not unusual at your local car stealership. Good luck with "negotiating" a price after the fact. The craftsman is entitled to be paid the full value of his work, and as long as the quality of the work is ordinary, reasonable, and customary. You are in a weak bargaining position (assuming you don't have written good faith estimate and baring approved written change orders), and the yard can put a lien on your vessel. Unfortunate in any event, hope you can work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Most shops have a substantial markup on parts to cover overhead, 100% mark up is not unusual at your local car stealership. Good luck with "negotiating" a price after the fact. The craftsman is entitled to be paid the full value of his work, and as long as the quality of the work is ordinary, reasonable, and customary. You are in a weak bargaining position (assuming you don't have written good faith estimate and baring approved written change orders), and the yard can put a lien on your vessel. Unfortunate in any event, hope you can work it out.
    I would never take it to the point of causing a major argument and them wanting to place a lien. I understand just like any of us in business that they need to make a fair profit and a living. That's normal and whats right. Lets face it, if it wasn't for profit, non of us would own a boat.

My problem is, I just want it to be "Fair" profit. I've asked for the time cards, and if they can show and justify it I'm fine with it. I just think they're little high on some of this stuff. A true professional mechanic should not take over 3 hours to replace an existing bilge pump. Unless they had to travel to the boat, 1 hour should be sufficient. Turn the breaker off and It's two screws in the base, two hose clamps, to wire butt connectors and some shrink rap on the butt connectors. I'm NOT a professional and I could change it out less than a half hour.

I'm still waiting on the time cards I requested yesterday which is telling me they never looked at them and just threw some approx labor rates on there out of a estimate book. If they truely went off time cards, the cards would be attached to their in house bill with the totals already added up.

Tony

Get a hold of Roger Worthington he is at Kolertor genorator . He may have the labor book Hatteras used to pay their dealers by. I have seen one a long time ago at Cannon Boat workes they made repairs for hatteras as well as launched the boats comming from Highpoint. Jarret bay may still be a dealer for Hatteras call them and ask the prices they will give you a quote.

MAN I BELIVE YOU GOT PLUCKED!!!! IN A LOT OF THE PLACES.

Task, Under: Replace Upper Rudder Bearings and Collars:

Heat nuts-Jacking Nuts (2) REMOVE ALL (4) repplace and cut packing-install packing gland.
    2.0 Hours

Drill Holes in plate, cut out center of (2) Plates- Mounting place on boat(Upper Bearings Plate) install collars 2.24 Hours

Next Task, Then Under: Replace Rudder Packing: Remove and replace packing. 3.43 Hours

My question is wouldn't the packing have to be removed when the rudders were dropped from the boat and the bearings were replaced? Then it states above, cut packing, install in packing gland.
    Are there two packing glands per rudder, am I missing something, wouldn't this appear they're doing the same thing twice? I've never done it, only watched on other boats and can't fully remember how it all goes together but it seems I'm missing something here.

Keep in mind those hours are just to remove the bearings. The rudder removal was a completely seperate charge. That was 8.8 Hours to remove and reinstall rudders, it has nothing to do with this.

Lastly it was 4 hours of labor additional to remove Lower Bearings, and another 2.57 Hours to reinstall lower bearings. That's 6.57 Hours to remove and reinstall lower bearing only. Is there something special about them that it should take that long. I'd think after an hour if I didn't have them out I'd assume I didn't know how and ask for help. Again, hours have nothing to do with rudder removal. Just bearings. Is this normal, are they super complicated bearings or should I get more grease out for myself?

Tony