Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Re: Rudder Work Labor Hours

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    No that's union hours.
    Old thread - but in 2017 my quote is $600 labor to replace two main engine seacocks.

Quote Originally Posted by formosa64 View Post
    Old thread - but in 2017 my quote is $600 labor to replace two main engine seacocks.
    2 people working together can burn up hours.

If you have 2 bours to pull the hoses and remove the old through hulls that's 4 hours before you even start to re install. Then size and cut the mushrooms. Prep the bull for sealing with the new peacock and drill for the bolts. Cry fit, double check the position and install it all. Plumbing the raw water and strainer takes time too. $600 labor could be low .
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

And do everything again because spell check screwed it up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

4. Re: Rudder Work Labor Hours

If you did indeed discuss the bill with George, you found he is a master at this sort of thing. When he said you were pissing him off, you should have come back with something like " you think you are pissed off now, just wait another 10 minutes". He would have come down eventually but you have to play his game. Go talk to Manny at Roscioli next time. Quality guy, quality yard and you won't get cheated. Just my opinion though. YMMV.

I think some people just don't get the shear many times but skin once principle. I'm a newbie and got bit with some service work. Nice guy it seemed, had a great first service and he caught a number of little items and fixed them in few hours. Said they had a monthly program, spend a few hours a month on the boat going through everything on a schedule and catch whatever they find. I'm a newbie, makes sense. Well the 2nd month I get a bill for almost 20 hours = $2,000. The details just didn't match up the hours and there was several hours of "inspection" and not a lot of "work". Majority of items already tended to the previous month by the same guys and I probably paid $200 for some kid to pour bleach in my bilge. Well that's when I knew I was skinned. I paid the bill and cancelled the monthly service.

I guarantee I'll never go to Cable Marine - I'd rather get towed by them.

6. Re: Rudder Work Labor Hours

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    These hours are ridiculous,go and get a quote from another yard.
    Agreed.

My worst "hit" was in Orange Beach, AL where Saunders Yachtworks performed a $65k in hull overhaul on one of my 12V71TI engines as part of an over $200k bill. The engine lasted 70 hours (never made it home). They told me to go pound sand. I became much smarter over the years but it generally boils down to working with an honest shop. Once the shop has tried the rip-off, the relationship is over. The biggest opportunity for a scam occurs when there is some extensive work being done. Thanks for letting us all know of your problems. It reminds me to be diligent when having work done.

My current general contractor is Joe Kuehl with ProBoat, Daytona Beach, FL - 386-212-7159. Always a pleasure to work with.

8. Re: Rudder Work Labor Hours

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Bert54 View Post
    The biggest opportunity for a scam occurs when there is some extensive work being done.
    I agree, but don't underestimate the one hit wonder. Some shops will come in and hit you with a ridiculous bill knowing you likely wont come back anyway. Usually less impactful than a major refit, but it sure is frustrating to deal with a 5x cost type of bill.

I agree. I have been with my current general contractor for getting on 4 years. It's easy to forget just how many unscrupulous characters there are out there.

Here's another not so nice story. When I purchased my Bertram 54, it had a 30' tuna tower on it. Overall, it was in decent shape with several pieces of aluminum tubing that needed to be replaced. I contracted with a pro to replace only the damaged tube pieces. The guy gut out the damaged pieces and the tuna tower lost it's shape and almost fell over. The guy quit keeping my $6k deposit and any chance of "fixing" the tower.

The next guy welded a whole new canopy structure minus the tuna tower while the boat was on dry dock. The only problem is that it was 9" higher in the back than in the front! In other words, the only of it's kind in the history of boating! This guy who was approx 350lbs and angry when I challenged him on his work said it was my fault because the boat was out of the water. He charged me $2700 additional to fix his mistake and had already put the wheels in motion to put a lien on the boat. I paid him in full plus the $2700. The law is really not on the side of a consumer in these situations.

Anyways - I hope this guy and Saunders both fall off their boat when they are alone at sea. Sorry.

Here are a few photos of the water in oil / oil in the water on my Saunders built $65k engine and the botch job top done by some other loser.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/ms...l?sort=3&o=147

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/ms...l?sort=3&o=145

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/ms...l?sort=3&o=197
    Last edited by Bayside Bert54; 05-03-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    And do everything again because spell check screwed it up.
    I'm sure you are right in that it's an estimate - Miller marine has always been really decent and fair. Good group to work with -