Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cruisair 7K BTU condenser... any idea where the expansion valve is..

and how to check it ? 1993 vintage. Crusiair model FS7C. Air handler ok, R22 pressures are ok, run/start caps ok, main relay is ok*.

But it still won't run more than a few seconds without shutting down. No error codes on digital display....in fact the "cool" light stays on even when the condenser shuts down... indicating that the electronics "think" the condenser is running fine...when it's not running at all...which hints at mechanical problem rather than electronic.

==========

*I know this from swapping these components from another unit that works fine. I know pressures are ok from the tech I finally got to come over last week. Tech assumed bad caps and/or relay, from symptoms...he was wrong.

Re: Cruisair 7K BTU condenser... any idea where the expansion valve is..

It's in the evaporator Mr know it all. Ask your wife or someone with some actual knowledge.

This is why there are licenses required for this kind of work. Your tech may not know any more than you but that does not make you qualified in any way.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

This is why there are licenses required for this kind of work. Your tech may not know any more than you but that does not make you qualified in any way.
    Obviously, he had a license..... that allows one to recharge refrigerant but is no guarantee of proper repair knowledge Sherlock.

It's in the evaporator Mr know it all. Ask your wife or someone with some actual knowledge.

Harsh, but accurate.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Not all AC techs have licenses. Some companies hire some pretty shady characters. My guess from the description of the problem is the tech did not know what he was doing and it sounds like a common and easily fixed problem. Too bad you have no Idea what it is.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Is this the resume your tech gave you?

Carl Spackler: License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior firepower and superior intelligence. And that's all she wrote.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Call the 800 number you gave me a couple weeks ago. Certainly they won't mind being told off for helping out.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Is this the resume your tech gave you?

Carl Spackler: License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior firepower and superior intelligence. And that's all she wrote.
    http://marinetechhhi.com/index.html.... Does this company look "shady" ? FWIW, he did fix the larger unit that needed some refrigerant, just not this smaller unit. Super nice guy actually, and seemed on the ball, but he guessed wrong on the smaller unit and I still have the problem. The average boat owner would have let them order the parts and paid $100 an hour (plus 2 hours of travel time total) for him to come back and install these unneeded parts for nothing. That didn't happen here.

The average boat owner with some knowledge would have had him repair it and then if his repair didnt work have him do it right at no additional charge. I'm sure he is not infallible like you. But since you took over his job he is no longer responsible to you to fix it. Im sure his company would have sent a better prepared tech to follow up.

Enjoy the heat know it all.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

The average boat owner with some knowledge would have had him repair it and then if his repair didnt work have him do it right at no additional charge. I'm sure he is not infallible like you. But since you took over his job he is no longer responsible to you to fix it. Im sure his company would have sent a better prepared tech to follow up.

Enjoy the heat know it all.
    Some boat owners, especially assholic ones like yourself, might have attempted the "ok you guessed wrong so now fix whatever is actually wrong for no extra charge even if the compressor is bad" trick, but would not have been successful. I did a recent search here on Cruisair troubles and noticed one member spent $900 and his unit was still not working.

As to enjoying the heat, no problem...the offending unit is for only one of 4 staterooms that is never used anyway...and is perfectly comfortable even without a working unit as long as the door remains open. Still I'm curious what is wrong with it.