Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Glendenning Question

Can you safely engage your synchronizer with both throttles advanced and then pull the slave throttle back ? The reason i ask is, the only way i can get my boat to plane off is with the synch off and both throttles to the pins for a short time.

Thanks as always in advance

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Re: Glendenning Question

Should be no problem. When you pull back the slave, you will notice a tension point. You should then be able to shut off the synch and likely advance what was the slave a bit until it synchs with your master. I have done that for years on my other boats.

I can't answer the question, never having done that with a Glenn.

I apologize if you already know this but the reason the Glenn turns off in that situation is because the WOT speeds are set incorrectly on the engines.

Our boat did the same thing when we bought it.

In order for the synchronizer to work properly, the idle speed of the slave engine has to be set lower than that of the lead engine and the WOT speed of the slave engine has to be set higher than that of the lead engine. Otherwise, the synchronizer will disengage because it can't bring the slave to match the lead at idle and/or WOT.

After resetting the engine speeds appropriately, the glenn stays in synch at idle and wot.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

In order for the synchronizer to work properly, the idle speed of the slave engine has to be set lower than that of the lead engine and the WOT speed of the slave engine has to be set higher than that of the lead engine. Otherwise, the synchronizer will disengage because it can't bring the slave to match the lead at idle and/or WOT.

Mike,
    My slave engine will not go to WOT when the synch is engaged, Only when its off. Does this mean its not adjusted or set up correctly ? I get about 300 less rpm's out of the slave at WOT with it engaged.

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

From your description, it could be that the clutch in the glenn need adjusting or that the governor lever needs adjusting. If the glenn cannot pull the lever of the slave sufficiently far to match RPM, it will disengage. If the pull required is too heavy, either due to the engine Gov lever tension setting or normal wear on the glenn's internal clutch, that could cause the problem.

If you don't know how to set the engine gov lever tension and/or the Glenn clutch, the Glen instructions contain all that. If you don't have a copy on the boat, you can download them - a search will probably easily locate them. It's quite simple to make the adjustments - despite the name "Governor Lever," you are not adjusting anything in the governor itself, just the tension on the (throttle) lever.
    Last edited by MikeP; 06-14-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Thanks Mike

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY