Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Boarded by USCG

Boarded by USCG

On our way to Oxford, MD a couple of days ago we were boarded by the USCG when we were a bit southeast of Tlighman Island. We were eastbound, cruising along at 9.5 Knots when the CG boat approached from our forward port quarter, turned on their lights, and fell in behind/pulled up along side.

Two coasties came aboard via the swim platform as we continued along at idle - about 6 knots.

They were very polite and wanted to see:

1. Appropriate number of life jackets (since there were two of us on board, they only needed to see two USCG approved vests). We have 12.

2. Boat registration/documentation AND a photo ID of some sort.

3. Waste Management Plan,

4. Throwable ring or otherwise USCG-approved throwable device

5. Closed/locked seacocks for overboard discharge for heads (turned off/handles removed is acceptable)

6. Oil Discharge Placard/sticker

7. MARPOL garbage dumping placard/sticker

8. Appropriate number of fire extinguishers (the big engine room CO2 system counts)

9. Copy of rules of the road

10. Working Horn

Of course, they can check many more items should they decide to but the above is what we were required to show them at that particular boarding. As I said, they were very professional and courteous. They also suggested that the Schooner restaurant in Oxford had the best Fish and Chips! Sadly, Schooners is closed on Wednesday so I tried the fish/chips at the Robert Morris Inn. Don't make that mistake.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Boarded by USCG

So they didn't notice the 30 Mexicans in the genny room?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We were stopped so many times in NY Harbor that it got to the point that we passed over the old receipts and they merely copied the data over and handed us a new receipt.
    Regards
    Dan

Isn't it great that they need no probable cause to search your boat?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Achtung! Your papers please!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Well, my feelings re their "right" to do so - whether I agree with it or not - vs what they COULD have looked at/asked about and chose not to, makes me tend to not get too upset about it... They only looked at boat safety-related/environmental stuff.

When they boarded, I commented that I assumed they did so because our registration stickers were not visible. I had not removed our windshield cover since we were operating from the FB. The cover wraps around the front side windows and covers the registration sticker. But the CG guy said "no, we don't care about that." He said that the boardings are totally at random unless they have some specific reason to look at a specific boat.

He also said that if the USCG stops the boat again anytime within a year, if you have the last inspection sheet on board and show it to them, the ONLY thing they will check is for life preservers. Just remember that they have to be USCG-approved. We have several types on board - including several of the ski-vest types and they (at least the ones we have) are not approved. ALSO, we have two of the Mustang self inflating vests and he said that they are ONLY approved if they are being worn at the time. IOW, if someone is wearing one when the CG boards, it counts; if they are in a deck box or sitting on a chair or hanging on a peg, they do not count.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

When heading North from Florida, we were boarded by the Coast Guard departing Charleston harbor. Three coasties boarded in their black boots. Since I was in delivery mode, even though it was my own boat, the Admiral was not on the trip. I thought long and hard about asking them to remove their black boots before boarding as is the usual rule on our boat but thought better of it when I saw the side arms and the mounted machine gun on the bow of their boat. Why annoy them. Been boarded many times. I never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    When heading North from Florida, we were boarded by the Coast Guard departing Charleston harbor. Three coasties boarded in their black boots. Since I was in delivery mode, even though it was my own boat, the Admiral was not on the trip. I thought long and hard about asking them to remove their black boots before boarding as is the usual rule on our boat but thought better of it when I saw the side arms and the mounted machine gun on the bow of their boat. Why annoy them. Been boarded many times. I never mind.
    My experience is they will not remove their boots.

Bobk

I read an internet account by some guy who was totally PO'd/up in arms about a CG boarding wherein they issued citations for multiple issues potentially totaling 40k+ USD in fines.

Turns out that when they requested to board, he had said NO and argued with them about whether they had the right to do so. Since, like it or not, they do have the right and ARE going to board anyway, asking to board is a courtesy. I can't imagine a dumber thing to do than telling them they cannot board. It's like putting a "kick me" sign on your own back. If the CG WANTS to find something to cite, it's impossible for me to believe they won't be able to.

They were a lot nicer than a boater in a 40-something Grand Banks who nearly ran us into a day marker on the approach to the Kent Narrows bridge from the south - narrow channel and he was throwing a big wake in the no-wake zone. I was convinced we were going to hit the marker but pure luck and a bunch of throttle/full right rudder slewed the stern around the piling. Several people at the dock bar adjacent applauded, one guy hollered "Well done!" Of course whether he thought what I did was well done or he was being sarcastic...I have no idea.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I read an internet account by some guy who was totally PO'd/up in arms about a CG boarding wherein they issued citations for multiple issues potentially totaling 40k+ USD in fines.

Turns out that when they requested to board, he had said NO and argued with them about whether they had the right to do so. Since, like it or not, they do have the right and ARE going to board anyway, asking to board is a courtesy. I can't imagine a dumber thing to do than telling them they cannot board. It's like putting a "kick me" sign on your own back. If the CG WANTS to find something to cite, it's impossible for me to believe they won't be able to.

They were a lot nicer than a boater in a 40-something Grand Banks who nearly ran us into a day marker on the approach to the Kent Narrows bridge from the south - narrow channel and he was throwing a big wake in the no-wake zone. I was convinced we were going to hit the marker but pure luck and a bunch of throttle/full right rudder slewed the stern around the piling. Several people at the dock bar adjacent applauded, one guy hollered "Well done!" Of course whether he thought what I did was well done or he was being sarcastic...I have no idea.

So what your saying here is like the Gestapo if you don't submit ,cower beg and scrape to them they will make you pay the price. All because you were minding your own business and doing nothing wrong?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present