Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Follow up on the Cruisair R22 topic....latest insight

To recap, the salon compressor was freezing up as well as both the air handler evaporator coils that were powered by that one compressor/condenser. This tuned out to be mostly because one of the two handler fans was not functioning. Freed up the stuck fan and the situation greatly improved. Now the compressor would not ice at all....... but eventually both evaporator coils would freeze.

The revelation is that to simply change the target thermostat temp from 71 degrees to 73 completely eliminated the coils from freezing.

Having said that, as the coils are clean and there are no ductwork restrictions the compressor almost certainly needs a bit more R22 recharge as it shouldn't freeze at 71 really. But at least for now I can wait the to to three weeks for a tech to get here to recharge the system in relative comfort.

My question is, would it not be possible to have some sort of pressure gauge on each condenser unit so that you can know at a glance if your refrigerant levels are low or not ? Would seem a handy feature to have, to monitor the levels before they become an actual problem.

Re: Follow up on the Cruisair R22 topic....latest insight

This company does just that:

http://www.marinaire.com/
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

FYI low Freon can actually cause the compressor to overheat and burn out.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    FYI low Freon can actually cause the compressor to overheat and burn out.
    Yep, since the refrigerant serves as the lubricant for the compressor as well. But judging from my smaller 7K BTU unit that shuts down after 8 seconds probably due to low Freon, apparently the Cruisairs are pretty good with automatic protection in that regard.

Incorectomondo! Its when they continue to run low the damage occurs!
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Incorectomondo! Its when they continue to run low the damage occurs!
    The Cruisair's have a low pressure sensor and will not allow the units to run, if that pressure falls below 30 psi. When I asked the resident guru if it hurt anything to run one at slightly above the 30 psi threshold he says no.

If you want to confirm that call Cruisair service at 954-973-2477 and ask for Carter Till

So what happens when it is on the edge, or the sensor is bad? Stop asking questions if you do not want real world responses. In fact you should start calling all the different gurus in your rolodex instead of stirring up trouble here!
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

So what happens when it is on the edge, or the sensor is bad? Stop asking questions if you do not want real world responses. In fact you should start calling all the different gurus in your rolodex instead of stirring up trouble here!
    Below is repeated the actual question I had with this topic. Which you of course ignored and injected "stuff you know" regardless.

Any "trouble" that was stirred up is in your imagination. How many other posters would go to the effort to present the phone number and name so that you can decide for yourself if you know more than a seasoned Cruisair technician ? You call that stirring up trouble ??

=================

My question is, would it not be possible to have some sort of pressure gauge on each condenser unit so that you can know at a glance if your refrigerant levels are low or not ? Would seem a handy feature to have, to monitor the levels before they become an actual problem.

You are a Pro at this. Pot stirring that is.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

You need not be concerned about any other answers or comments coming from me.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"