Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

question on heat exchanger seal

Putting it all back together after an acid bath- got the core and the discharge flange in, then I got the first seal and the gland on the intake side in flush to the tank- however, before I put the intake flange on, the 2nd seal didn't "fit" onto anything. I basically held it in place around the circular end of the core then tightened the flange down. Does that sound right? The bad part is I've done this before- but for the life of me I can't remember this one detail. Thanks for any help with this.
    Skrmetta90
    "Longitude 90" - 1973 45C
    Biloxi, MS

Re: question on heat exchanger seal

I lube the o rings and make sure the first ring is fully seated and the same for the gland. The second ring usually goes in enough just enough to hold itself in place.

Thank'you- I just wanted to be sure that was correct. Hooked everything up and no leaks. Now on to the starboard side.
    Skrmetta90
    Biloxi, MS

New owner here, tryin to put together a schedule of routine maintenance for everything
    in the boat

If I was to do it right, how often should I acid wash the heat exchanger (diy), and is done in the boat, or is it removed and done in a shop
    Last edited by ronparise; 06-07-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Ron Parise,
    From what I've read, pulling the heat exchanger core out every 2 or 3 years is recommended, if for no other reason to keep the bolts from freezing up on you. Cleaning in place is much easier and will help get the temp down if that is an issue. Genesis has a great right up on that procedure in the frequently asked service questions. Congrats on the purchase- welcome to the board!
    Skrmetta90
    Biloxi, MS

Thanks

I suggest that the FIRST time you clean the HEs that you remove them/clean them as per the DD service manual instructions. That way you can inspect them and also KNOW they are clean and like-new after boiling. There can be junk in there that boiling will not remove and only a visual inspection can determine that. From that point on, do the in-place cleaning periodically if you are comfortable with that method. I'm not but most people are.
    Last edited by MikeP; 06-07-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

MikeP, Thanks

The reason I asked is that I just spent a ton on the starboard side to remove everything connected with the cooling system including the heat exchanger as you suggest. everything got a close look and was cleaned, rebuilt or replaced as appropriate. ivebeen concerned that I was sold something that just wasn't needed

Thanks for your post Im going to go forward with the same job on the other side.inspite of the cost If for no other reason that I want to know that it is as you say, as close to as new as possible
    Last edited by ronparise; 06-07-2015 at 10:06 PM.