Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra Safety Systems Pump Switch Failures - Replacement Advice

All:

My boat has Three Ultra Safety Systems UPS-02-12V Float Bilge Pump Switches. These switches were installed when the vessel was built. All of them are showing signs of problems, and need to be replaced.

I have noticed Rule makes an automatic pump, which has the appropriate GPH and Current rating for my application. The questions is, are these auto pumps reliable, and is there any special reason I would want to stick with a USS UPS-02-12V and a 1500 GPH pump?
    1998 39SX

Re: Ultra Safety Systems Pump Switch Failures - Replacement Advice

Is it just the switch that has failed? Why do you need a new pump? I have seen others on this site that seem to think that the Ultra switches are far superior to the new rule. Maybe you should call the Ultra people. Who knows, maybe if they won't warrant those old switches, they'll give you a good deal on some replacements.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The pumps are fine. The only reason I would replace them with the Rule automatic would be to take advantage of the switch and pump all being in one enclosure. These pumps are coming up on 17 years old, thus it probably would not hurt to have new bilge pumps installed.

I think your right, maybe a call to the OEM is in order. I do note on their UPS-01-12V model they offer a lifetime warranty. For some reason this type of warranty is not offered for there switches which have higher current handling capability.
    Last edited by av8torrich; 05-26-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    1998 39SX

Have you tried taking them apart and cleaning them? I had one that was intermittent. I cleaned it up and has been working fine for over a year now.

If you have to replace, I would still stay with the Ultra. I believe they are better than anything else out there.
    Blaine
    1992 43C - "Journey"
    Pace, FL

Hi Blaine:

No I have not tried this yet. The switches I have look nothing like the ones which are pictures on the USS website. While the model number is the same, mine do not have the clear plastic which exposes the "plunger". The Switches which were installed on my vessel have an all black enclosure.

When I looked at it, I did not get the impression it could be taken apart. Were yours like the one pictured on their website, or like the ones I described above?
    1998 39SX

How about a picture? I have 6 24v Ultra switches that are at least 15 years old, and 4 12v Ultras in another boat that are 13 years old without a failure. The Rule all in one pumps cycle on pretty often measuring pump impellor resistance if there's water so the pump runs longer, many find it annoying.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Hi Cricket:

I don't have a picture at this time. My boat is three hours away, so it may have to wait until this weekend or the next. The best way I can describe it is, it looks just like the picture on USS website except the cylinder is all black plastic.
    1998 39SX

Call Ultra before you do anything. Read him the serial numbers on the switches, if you can, and send him some photos of the installs. He may surprise you. He has a lot of pride in what he makes down there, and I think if something he made does fail, he would replace it.

I had one auto pump and would never buy another one. They are extremely annoying and if they are anywhere near your sleeping area you will probably do what I did - replace it in less than a month with a normal pump/separate switch.

To me it's one of those concept things that sounds good on paper but doesn't work out so well in real life. That being said, if the auto pump(s) is in a location that you can't hear them at night, then my objection to them may not apply. But on our 53, for example, only one pump of the 4 Oem bilge pumps is in a location where I won't hear it at night - the forward bilge area - which is around 40 feet forward of the master SR.

As far as the Ultra switches, I had planned to install them some years back but the price put me off. Everything I've heard about them is favorable, including their support for any issues so I would do as suggested and call the company. BUT whatever you do, I sure DON"T recommend those auto pumps unless you don't sleep on the boat!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

10. Re: Ultra Safety Systems Pump Switch Failures - Replacement Advice

The Ultra Switches are far superior. I have a Rule float switch in the boat as well as two Ultra switches. I had the rule in my extras box, so I replaced a failed one with it. That was 8 months ago, and its already sticking in the on position and going to cause a pump failure. I can not seem to get more than 2 years out of the Rule floats. If you figure the cost of 3 Rule floats, you are already to the cost of the Ultra and the ultra will live far longer. I ordered a new Ultra to replace it last night because over the past 15 years of using the Ultra switch, I have not had one failure that cleaning out the unit would not fix.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website