Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mystery water

Mystery water

I noticed water around the base of my generator in my 58' Hatteras Yachtfish. Not coming from the generator but thru the weep hole on the opposite side of the stringer under the batteries. I have fished around underneath and can find a weep hole between the firewall to the engine room but not real water in the bilge. Any one run into this before or suggestions? Thanks

Re: Mystery water

Raw water or coolant? The sherwood pump has a weep hole, the circulating pump has a weep hole, and of course there are hose clamps to look at, hoses themselves, and the heat exchanger has been known to corrode through.. bright lights in dark spaces reveal a lot.

I have the exact same issue. Looking everywhere with little luck finding the source. I'm going to Vacum the miner amount of water and watch. I think it might be from the boat washers. I'll find that out next weekend. I'll keep you informed once I know. You do the same. Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I have the exact same issue. Looking everywhere with little luck finding the source. I'm going to Vacum the miner amount of water and watch. I think it might be from the boat washers. I'll find that out next weekend. I'll keep you informed once I know. You do the same. Rusty
    Thanks. I am doing the same today. Vacuuming out the water and using more bright lights to try and locate the source. I think this is fresh water. I'll keep y'all posted.

Is it always present of just after some 'event'? I find fresh water in the bilge running from the aft end down the starboard side each time I fill the water tank and allow it to fill above the overflow. I can't locate the source of the water, and it stops as soon as the water is turned off. And strangely the fill and overflow hose are on the port side as is the plumbing from the tank to the pump and all the services. The tank is on the center line.

Bobk

In the front ER bulkhead, inboard at bottom, there is a plug, like a transom plug for a small boat. It is just outboard of the center tank between the ERs. And another one outboard of the stringer ahead of the engines.

Possible one gas come lose?

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    In the front ER bulkhead, inboard at bottom, there is a plug, like a transom plug for a small boat. It is just outboard of the center tank between the ERs. And another one outboard of the stringer ahead of the engines.

Possible one gas come lose?

JM
    Should that be plugged? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Is it always present of just after some 'event'? I find fresh water in the bilge running from the aft end down the starboard side each time I fill the water tank and allow it to fill above the overflow. I can't locate the source of the water, and it stops as soon as the water is turned off. And strangely the fill and overflow hose are on the port side as is the plumbing from the tank to the pump and all the services. The tank is on the center line.

Bobk
    I got all the water out of the gen room on the outside of the starboard stringers. I could not locate where it was coming from. Still a mystery. On your boat, in the lazarette under the exhaust, there is a brass nut that screws in the fiberglass exhaust. It was used for draing water during winterizing. Check it and make sure it's tight. I actually sealed mine off where it can never be removed. It can completely loose on one side and water was just pouring in. I hope this might be your solution.
    I have a run this week and when I get to our next port of call, I'll check it and let tall know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Should that be plugged? Thanks
    I keep the plugs in.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    I keep the plugs in.
    Thanks Gloria, where does the water go? Does it run through to the bilge area from the other side of the stringer?
    I think I'll try this.