Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Prop and shaft fouling, ouch....

[QUOTE=Scrod;268681]Spray on straight Muriatic acid. Makes a great smoke show. Be sure to wear your PPE.

Brushing or spraying, doesn't the muriatic acid have an effect on the passivation of the stainless? I've seen bright stainless turn dark grey and then form rust after being treated with muriatic acid. The phosphoric acid I used this spring didn't make the barnacles fall off but it loosened them considerably so that quick passes with the wire cup on the grinder made short work of the clean up.

I have power brass wire brushed the shafts and props with ease 48 hours after the boat was out of the water and on dry. It was easy job, about 20 minutes each side (prop and shaft)

After talking to few boaters in the yard who provided very positive feedback on Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=262

I am going with that option for this haul out. I just have to remind myself to do a monthly check with my Go-Pro camera to see what is the condition and rate of fouling (if any) and make the timely decision for next haul-out.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

When our boat's bottom is painted, the yard also paints the shafts/props with the bottom paint. That usually keeps the shafts/props fairly clean for THAT season but otherwise the barnacles build up fast. Typically, it takes around 2 months for the barnacle buildup s to reduce our 53MY's WOT speed from 17+ knots to 10-11.

Since the boat only comes out of the water for bottom painting, the only way to get rid of the barnacles is to periodically dive the boat/scrape them off. If there is some coating that will keep barnacles off for the long term, that would be REALLY neat.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Not a wire wheel fan. I've always felt the wheel transfers metal from the wires and seems to smear and close the pores of what your buzzing up so the paint won't adhere as well. I prefer a disk sander for the job
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Our haulout survey for purchase.lol
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Spray on straight Muriatic acid. Makes a great smoke show. Be sure to wear your PPE.
    Brushing or spraying, doesn't the muriatic acid have an effect on the passivation of the stainless? I've seen bright stainless turn dark grey and then form rust after being treated with muriatic acid. The phosphoric acid I used this spring didn't make the barnacles fall off but it loosened them considerably so that quick passes with the wire cup on the grinder made short work of the clean up.
    I should have been more specific. My yard does just the props with straight muriatic. Never noticed any color difference on the shafts around them. Shafts are cleaned by scraping and abrasives. Passivating involves dipping ferrous metals in acid, so I'm not sure if more acid would be an issue.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by thoward View Post
    Our haulout survey for purchase.lol
    Hate changing the subject' but I gotta ask how was the rest of the boat?
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    Hate changing the subject' but I gotta ask how was the rest of the boat?
    It was essentially an outdated, unmolested, one owner, northern boat. The market crashed and it was left to sit for about 3 years hence the growth. Is has been a great boat although there have been some hickups here and there.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

You know your boat has been in the water a long time when the barnacles grow feet with shoes on them.

Wink Re: Prop and shaft fouling, ouch....

Oh my, that just made me laugh so hard, perfect!