Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1998 50SD underpriced

Looking for thoughts, suggestions, reasons. This is a great boat in turnkey condition with many upgrades and additions. The name of the boat is HAT-ATTUDE and it can be found on Yachtworld as a 1998, 50' Hatteras MY.
    I have had it on the market a while and have lowered the price considerably. It is priced now at $269,900 which is far below it's estimated market value. The latest survey is glowing and puts the value at about $370K. I think that's high but the market is certainly above $270K. ?????
    Is there just not a market?
    Attached Images

Re: 1998 50SD underpriced

Quote Originally Posted by DelloRusso View Post
    Looking for thoughts, suggestions, reasons. This is a great boat in turnkey condition with many upgrades and additions. The name of the boat is HAT-ATTUDE and it can be found on Yachtworld as a 1998, 50' Hatteras MY.
    I have had it on the market a while and have lowered the price considerably. It is priced now at $269,900 which is far below it's estimated market value. The latest survey is glowing and puts the value at about $370K. I think that's high but the market is certainly above $270K. ?????
    People with enough disposable income to take on the cash burn of a mid sized boat are becoming fewer and fewer.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

In that vintage Hatteras, I think the GM power is perhaps a negative. Specs say 1100 hours in one place and 950 hours in another. IMO the photos are not great. There should be more of them and better quality. She's on the market for over a year, It may be time to give her a fresh face with a new broker who will pay closer attention.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Sometimes having a dealer as a broker works against you since they need to push their brands. Eric is correct about the pictures. Quality photography is a small investment to get someone interested enough to call.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by DelloRusso View Post
    We are in process of surveying a 1989 Hatteras 60, which to be honest, is not going too well at the moment, so I might be interested. One curiosity you might know about...how is it that there are at least two Hatteras 52 sport decks on Yachtworld and yet the PBG (Power Boat Guide) doesn't show there is such a thing ! The are 52 CPMY's of course....but no 52 sport decks in the guide....only the 50, as you have. Does the PBG leave out some boats or are those 52 sport deck folks exaggerating their lengths ?

As an aside, you might be interested that the 52 sport deck in Charleston, SC we have seen (only because the broker indicated they might take $300K for it) but it has a dark finish interior where "cloudiness" in the finish is a problem. Hard to tell in the photos but it really needs a complete redo on all the woodwork inside.
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-27-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Let me first admit that I have not followed market pricing on 20, 30, 40 year old Hatteras boats for a long time. After reading this thread I did some internet reading and did not come away with a warm feeling. First impression is that the market bottom has not been found, and the ratio of purchase cost versus annual ownership cost is way out of line. Perhaps Eric or others that follow the market regularly would help me understand where the market is and headed

Thanks

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    People with enough disposable income to take on the cash burn of a mid sized boat are becoming fewer and fewer.
    That and the income disparity thing all the politicians are talking about. Theres no more middle. The guys that can afford a yacht can afford a million dollar yacht, and the rest of us yacht club wanna-bees cant or are limited to the cheap stuff like I bought ($55000 1979 43' double cabin)

For the record I dont know boats, and I dont know the market for 30-40 year old boats. I wanted a boat, and I could afford this one, and it looks real pretty, so I bought it. I bought my boat with the expectation that I will die owning it, so valuation isnt important to me. HAT-ATTUDE needs a new owner with the same attitude, but with more money

Again, I dont know boats but I do know something about real estate in a vacation home market. and Ive seen the same thing here . The million dollar homes sell, and the $200000 homes sell... The stuff in the middle, not so much. and I think HAT-ATTUDE is in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Artzco View Post
    Sometimes having a dealer as a broker works against you since they need to push their brands. Eric is correct about the pictures. Quality photography is a small investment to get someone interested enough to call.
    Although working for Marine Max this broker has been selling Hatteras "almost" exclusively for years. However, there is some validity in what you say. Thanks for taking the time to comment. As for the pics, maybe it's time to freshen things up. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    We are in process of surveying a 1989 Hatteras 60, which to be honest, is not going too well at the moment, so I might be interested. One curiosity you might know about...how is it that there are at least two Hatteras 52 sport decks on Yachtworld and yet the PBG (Power Boat Guide) doesn't show there is such a thing ! The are 52 CPMY's of course....but no 52 sport decks in the guide....only the 50, as you have. Does the PBG leave out some boats or are those 52 sport deck folks exaggerating their lengths ?

As an aside, you might be interested that the 52 sport deck in Charleston, SC we have seen (only because the broker indicated they might take $300K for it) but it has a dark finish interior where "cloudiness" in the finish is a problem. Hard to tell in the photos but it really needs a complete redo on all the woodwork inside.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I can't answer your question but I think people just make up names. I'm not sure there was ever a 52SD. I have all the original drawings of the vessel and mine is definitely a 50SD in the USA and a 58SD in Europe. The actual length from tip of pulpit to end of swim step is 58'. I'm not sure of the actual length of the 60 Hatteras you are looking at.
    I believe also that there are significant differences in the internals (i.e. electric, plumbing, AC) between the late 80's Hatteras and the late 90's. Please let me know how things go with your current interest. In any case thanks and good luck,
    AL

"I can't answer your question but I think people just make up names. I'm not sure there was ever a 52SD."

Of course there are 52 SD's out there. I own one. Two foot difference. The main difference is in engine package. The 50 SD came with 6-92 engines. The 52 SD had either 8-92's or, like mine, 3406E Cats. AFAIK most 50 SD were two stateroom.

I don't know exact production numbers but the 50 SD seems a bit more scarce and has traditionally had slightly higher value. As to the actual value of your boat, or any other boat (or mine for that matter), it is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. There are apparently more boats than buyers right now.

http://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochu...ide%201998.pdf